Share this article

print logo

Family donates 7-year-old fire victim's organs

Anthony Conti's organs have been donated by his family.

The 7-year-old, a second-grader at Lovejoy Discovery School 43, died in a fire Monday on Benzinger Street.

"My beautiful nephew will live on in many others," Debbie Conti posted on Facebook.

Preliminary autopsy results indicated Anthony died of smoke inhalation, Buffalo Fire Commissioner Vincent V. Muscarella said.

The fire at 59 Benzinger St. was reported at about 2:40 a.m. Monday. Firefighters scrambled to search the burning house when they arrived and were told by people who exited the home that there were multiple children inside.

Only Anthony was inside. He was found in the kitchen, 4 to 6 feet from a bedroom, officials said. He was pronounced dead at Oishei Children's Hospital.

The fire, which started in a first-floor bedroom, is believed to have been caused when the boy's father, Joseph Conti, used a blowtorch to light a cigarette and some bedding caught fire, according to a friend of the Conti family.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to accept monetary donations. As of Tuesday morning, more than $14,500 had been collected.

Donations of new household items and clothes for the Conti family are being accepted at the Mead Library, 126 Ludington St. and at SS. Peter and Paul Orthodox Church, 44 Benzinger St. After hours, donations may be dropped off at the Hennepin Center, 24 Ludington.

Donations may also be dropped off at any Buffalo police station:

  • A District – 1847 South Park Ave.
  • B District – 695 Main St.
  • C District – 693 E. Ferry St.
  • D District – 669 Hertel Ave.
  • E District – 2767 Bailey Ave.

Furniture donations are being politely declined at this point, volunteers helping the family said.

Blowtorch may have started fire that killed 7-year-old, neighbor says

There are no comments - be the first to comment