Bills center Eric Wood was hoping to make his farewell from football at Sunday's Pro Bowl, two league sources told the News on Friday.
Wood held off the announcement about his future in case he got the call, the sources said.
Wood said last week that he would have gone to the Pro Bowl had Maurkice Pouncey of the Steelers decided not to play. Wood was named a Pro Bowl alternate behind Pouncey and Rodney Hudson of the Raiders.
Even if he made the Pro Bowl, Wood was planning to retire regardless, the sources said.
In a statement Friday, Wood said the neck issue was identified in his end-of-season physical with the Bills and he subsequently saw doctors. Wood said the doctors told him that he would not be cleared to play even with surgery or rehab.
The injury is viewed as mostly cumulative and degenerative from wear and tear over time and not triggered by a single incident.
Wood gave no indication of any issue when the Bills met with the media the day after the loss to Jacksonville.
"We finished the season with some momentum," he said. "Obviously, yesterday didn’t turn out the way we wanted, but there’s a lot to build on and I’m excited for 2018."