The Bills have the No. 21 and No. 22 picks in the NFL Draft and you might have heard that quarterback is an area of need.
As General Manager Brandon Beane acknowledged, the Bills have enough ammunition if they wanted to package those picks or package a first-round pick and a second or third to move up.
There are always exceptions to every rule and some highly drafted quarterbacks fail — Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell come to mind – and some quarterbacks drafted lower succeed (that guy in New England).
So here is a look at quarterbacks who have been selected at either No. 21 or No. 22 since 2000 from most recent, including a familiar name:
- Johnny Manziel by Cleveland at No. 22 in 2014.
- Brandon Weeden by Cleveland at No. 22 in 2012.
- Brady Quinn by Cleveland at No. 22 in 2007.
- J.P. Losman by the Bills at No. 22 in 2004.
- Rex Grossman by Chicago at No. 22 in 2003.
Here are some notable non-quarterbacks
- Haha Clinton-Dix, defensive back, by Green Bay, at No. 21 in 2014.
- Desmond Trufant, defensive back, by Atlanta at No. 22 in 2013.
- Tyler Eifert, tight end, by Cincinnati at No. 21 in 2013.
- Demaryius Thomas, wide receiver, by Denver at No. 22 in 2010.
- Percy Harvin, wide receiver, by Minnesota at No. 22 in 2009.
- Alex Mack, center, by Cleveland at No. 21 in 2009.
- Felix Jones, running back, by Dallas at No. 22 in 2008.