First Presbyterian Church of Lewiston, celebrating its 200th anniversary this year, welcomes the community to its Christmas Eve service in its old stone church, beginning at 5:40 p.m. with a choral and organ prelude before the worship service at 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 24.
The church is located at 505 Cayuga St., with parking available in front of and behind the building.
Established on Jan. 20, 1817, it is the oldest church in the village. During the Civil War era, a bright light was displayed in its steeple to signal Canadian neighbors that slaves were about to be transported across the Niagara River to freedom on the Underground Railroad.
The Rev. Dr. Elizabeth Morgan will officiate at the service, with assistance from the church’s music director, Robert Hull.