Share this article

print logo

Niagara Falls voters approve $55 million in school improvements

Voters in Niagara Falls approved a $55 million package of building improvements for the city's public schools Tuesday.

The plan includes air conditioning for Maple Avenue, Mann, 79th Street and Hyde Park elementary schools, as well as numerous roof and masonry repairs, a hot-food kitchen at 79th Street and repaving of the high school parking lot.

The vote of 810 to 137 exceeded the 60 percent threshold needed to pass the plan. A supermajority was required because the up-front borrowing to pay for the work will push the district over its debt limit.

The state is to reimburse the district for 98 percent of the project's costs, with grant funds already on hand to cover the other 2 percent.

There are no comments - be the first to comment