The College Power 10 ranks the top performers each week in Western New York collegiate athletics.
1. Canisius men's hockey: The Golden Griffins dampened the hopes of Niagara fans, sweeping the Purple Eagles in a home-and-home series the weekend after Niagara moved into the USCHO poll. Canisius defeated the No. 20 Purple Eagles 4-2 on Friday and 8-2 on Saturday, extending its winning streak against Niagara to 10. To add insult to injury for Niagara, Canisius took its No. 20 spot in this week's USCHO poll.
2. Villa Maria men's and women's basketball: Both Vikings teams are in the top five in the latest United States Collegiate Athletic Association National Coaches Poll. The men's team is No. 1 for a second straight week after starting the season 9-1. The women are No. 4, led by the nation's leading scorer, Shaquana Owens (Tapestry).
3. UB women's basketball: The Bulls moved to 7-1 on the season with victories against Canisius and Columbia this week. UB blew by the Golden Griffins, winning 73-47, and needed a buzzer-beater from Brittany Morrison to defeat Columbia, 65-63. Cassie Oursler led the team in scoring in both victories A pair of Big 4 matchups are coming up on the docket, as the Bulls will travel to St. Bonaventure Friday and Niagara Monday.
4. Kelsi Ebert: The Hilbert women's basketball guard dished out seven assists against La Roche, becoming the program's all-time leader in career assists. The Frontier grad has accumulated 256 in three and a half seasons.
5. Mckenna Maycock and Mariah Ruff: The Bonnies women's basketball pair combined for 45 points in St. Bonaventure's come-from-behind victory against Penn State Saturday. The loss pushed Penn State, which went to the third round of the WNIT a year ago, to 8-3.
6. St. Bonaventure men's basketball: The Bonnies moved to 2-1 in the Big 4 Wednesday with a 73-65 victory against Canisius. Their win streak was pushed to four Saturday with a 75-67 triumph against Yale in a game aired on ESPNU. Jaylen Adams, the Atlantic 10 Player of the Week, scored 19 of his 25 points in the second half to down the Bulldogs.
7. Lainy Pierce: The former Eden girls volleyball player's Nittany Lions are still rolling, as Penn State defeated Missouri and Michigan State in three sets each to move to the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament. Pierce had two digs against Missouri. Penn State faces Big Ten foe Nebraska in the semifinals Thursday.
8. Buffalo State football's National Bowl representatives: Linebacker Bart Mazzara (Starpoint), defensive lineman Khalil Sommerville (McKinley) and wide receiver Ricky Bailey (Niagara Falls) played in the National Bowl, a showcase of some of the top Division II and III seniors in the country. 3o scouts from the NFL and CFL were in attendance.
9. Sara Crandall: Former Cattaraugus-Little Valley girls volleyball player Sara Crandall was named to the NCAA Division II All-Atlantic Regional team last week after her Gannon Golden Knights swept the host Wheeling Jesuit in the final. Her college career came to an end Friday when Gannon lost to No. 21 Florida Southern in the national semifinals. She graduates second in Gannon program history with 1,872 career digs.
10. Brett Perry: The UB wrestler went 2-0 this week, winning his match against Michigan State and Kent State. His major decision over Kent State’s Colin McCracken spurred a comeback victory for the Bulls.
* Fredonia men's hockey moved two games over .500 by sweeping SUNY Canton this weekend.
* Isaiah Reese scored a career-high 31 points and grabbed seven rebounds in Canisius men's basketball's loss to St. Bonaventure.
* Jamestown CC women's basketball has won six games in a row.
* Hilbert women's basketball defeated Medaille, 72-48, in the AMCC Game of the Week.
* Canisius baseball's J.P. Stevenson was named to the Canadian Baseball Network All-Canadian college team. He's one of five NCAA players named to the squad.
Previous Power 10s
Story topics: Bart Mazzara/ Brett Perry/ Buffalo State football/ Canisius men's hockey/ Fredonia men's hockey/ Hilbert women's basketball/ Kelsi Ebert/ Khalil Sommerville/ Lainy Pierce/ Mariah Ruff/ Mckenna Maycock/ Ricky Bailey/ St. Bonaventure men's basketball/ St. Bonaventure women's basketball/ UB women's basketball/ Villa Maria men's basketball/ Villa Maria women's basketball