Niagara Falls plans to jingle all the way through the three Saturdays – leading up to Christmas weekend with a new holiday celebration downtown that will feature a variety of free activities Saturday, Dec. 9 and Dec. 16.
A Candlelight Stroll will launch Jingle Falls USA at 4:30 p.m. Saturday from the steps of Niagara Falls City Hall, 745 Main St. The procession will leave at 5 p.m. and make its way along Third Street, caroling all the way, and celebrate the official Holiday Tree Lighting ceremony at 6 p.m. in Seneca Square, outside the Seneca Niagara Resort & Casino. That ceremony will feature live music by national recording artist Michael Cavanaugh, who also will perform the songs of Billy Joel that evening inside the Bear’s Den at the casino. The event will mark the official illumination of trees down Old Falls and Third streets. Fireworks will follow, as will an outdoor showing of holiday movie, “Elf,” on Old Falls Street.
Free shuttle service will run to and from City Hall throughout the evening.
Other related events during Jingle Falls will include:
– Weekly fireworks displays each Saturday.
– A Holiday Marketplace from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. each Saturday inside the Conference & Event Center Niagara Falls, on Old Falls Street.
– The Niagara Falls Culinary Institute, 28 Old Falls St., will host Gingerbread Wonderland activities and Visits with Santa Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday through Dec. 23, starting this Sunday.
– Fire pits and food trucks will be featured each Saturday along Old Falls Street and at Seneca Square. Free horse and carriage rides also will be offered from 2 to 7 p.m.
– Santa will arrive on Old Falls Street by Rainbow Air Helicopter at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 9 and an outdoor showing of the Disney movie “Frozen,” including a visit by costumed characters, will take place at 4 p.m. the same day on Old Falls Street.
– Also Dec. 9, the PAL Santa Dash 5K will start at 9 a.m.; live reindeer and a sleigh will be on display from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Old Falls Street; and families can learn more about winter birds of Niagara Falls State Park at 10 a.m. at the Cave of the Winds Pavilion on Goat Island.
– On Dec. 16, State Parks will host a Light Up the Holidays Hike starting at 10 a.m. at Cave of the Winds Pavilion and a Niagara Falls Street Hockey Tournament will take place throughout the day at Third Street and Rainbow Boulevard.
For a complete list of events, visit jinglefallsusa.com. You can register for the 5K and hockey tourney at the same website. Those who take photos during related events, and share them on social media using #JingleFalls, will be eligible to win on overnight package to the Seneca Niagara Resort & Casino.