One of the area’s most unique and popular holiday traditions is fast approaching at the TR Site.
The historic landmark home on Delaware Avenue kicks off its Victorian Christmas (Dec. 1-9) with a special Nov. 30 gala evening with premium wines, craft beer, hors d’oeuvres and entertainment by The Hot Club of Buffalo. The gala is the first opportunity to view the decorations and shop the unique holiday boutiques. An auction and theme baskets are also planned for the event which runs from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Pre-sale tickets are $45 for members and $50 for nonmembers. A limited number of tickets may be available at the door ($55 per person.)
The gala is followed by candlelight dinners and luncheons during the rest of the week.
Holiday dinners (priced accordingly):
• An Irish Christmas Celebration, Monday, Dec. 4. Toast the holidays with champagne and then enjoy a marvelous “Irish” Christmas dinner. Afterwards, Vincent O’Neill and Josephine Hogan of the Irish Classical Theatre Company take the stage to delight with stories, laughter and special sentiment. Cost is $55 per person.
• Gourmet Food & Wine Pairing,
Dec. 5. A special menu is complimented by wines plus a festive performance of holiday hits by the Mark Mazur Quartet. Cost is $60 per person.
• Girls Night Out!, Dec. 7. Dinner will be delicious and so will the vintage fashions in the night’s show — Sumptuous Silk & Lovely Lace. Cost is $55 per person.
Holiday luncheons begin at 11:30 a.m., followed by a special program. Cost is $35 per person:
• Holiday Greetings from the Garden, Dec. 5. Gardener and author Jackie Albarella will talk all things holiday.
• Festive Holiday Florals, Dec. 7. Floral designs by Cathy McGovern, Trilliums’ Courtyard Florist.
• A Cappella Christmas, Dec. 8. A delightful concert by Buffalo Seminary’s Semachords.
• Dec. 9 two luncheons are planned for the day (11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.; 1:30-3:30 p.m.).
Luncheon and dinners are by reservation only. Please call the TR Site at (716) 884-0095 or visit trsite.org.
The Eighth District Federated Garden Clubs of New York State researches Victorian Era decor and brings it to life at the TR Site. If you can’t make the events you can still visit to see their efforts.
The picture on this page is from a previous year, so look for fresh and new decor on display through the end of the month.
During the week of Dec. 1-9, admission to the TR Site is only $5. Starting Dec. 10, regular admission applies: $10 adults; $7 seniors/students with ID and $5 children 6-18; 5 and under free; family (2 adults, 2 children both under 18) $25.
Visitor Center hours are weekdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the exception of Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Open noon to 5 p.m. weekends. Closed Christmas Eve/Day and New Year’s Eve/Day.
Get some shopping done on your visit. The Snowflake Boutique, stocked with unique, one-of-a-kind handcrafted gifts, and Tempting Treasures will be packed with antiques and collectibles.
The Museum Shop also carries an array of jewelry, handbags, and other exclusive boutique items by a number of Buffalo artisans. The TR Site notes a Victorian Christmas is sponsored by Wegmans.
Holiday House Tour Dec. 3
Presented by the Allentown Association and TR Site, The Secrets of Allentown House Tour happens Dec. 3,
Tour start times: noon and 2 p.m.
The self-guided house tour visits private residences decorated for the holidays.
Tickets: $35 general; $30 Allentown Association and TR Site members.
Tour begins at the TR Site (641 Delaware) with a free trolley making stops at the homes. Tickets and information at trsite.org and allentown.org.
(Photo courtesy of the TR Site.)