Share this article

print logo

Chimney fire spreads, displaces family from Cheektowaga home

A fire that began late Sunday afternoon in the chimney of a Cheektowaga home displaced a family of three with their four pets.

No one was hurt in the blaze at 758 S. Huth Road, and the family had gotten out safely by the time firefighters arrived, said Cleveland Hill Fire District Chief Matthew Chowaniec. Damage is estimated at $20,000 to the home and $15,000 to its contents.

The fire appears to have started in a chimney connected to a wood burning stove that was being used at the time, Chowaniec said. The fire then spread to a second floor bedroom and bathroom of the two-story wood frame home with multiple additions, he said.

"There is significant smoke and heat damage to the second floor and smoke damage to the first floor," the chief said.

A couple with a child, three dogs and a cat were home at the time and had a place to stay, he said, so the American Red Cross was not contacted.

Five Cheektowaga fire companies and the Williamsville fire company assisted Cleveland Hill Fire District at the fire, which broke out shortly after 4:30 p.m. and was knocked down in about 15 minutes.

There are no comments - be the first to comment