Share this article

print logo

Edwin G. Egan, 92, architect, community volunteer

April 10, 1925 – Nov. 8, 2017

Edwin G. Egan, an architect who designed firehouses, churches and the Anderson's Frozen Custard stand on Main Street in Williamsville, died Wednesday morning in Veterans Affairs Medical Center after a short illness. He was 92.

Mr. Egan was born in Attica and attended Attica High School where he excelled in his French language classes, according to his daughter, Nora Egan Green.

After serving in the Navy as a seaman during World War II, Mr. Egan moved to Buffalo to study engineering at Canisius College.

He graduated from the University of Detroit, and earned a master's degree in architecture at North Carolina State University.

He met the former Mary Ellen Beck during a visit home to Buffalo. The two met while attending a function at St. Michael's Church on Washington Street. They were married more than 64 years. Mrs. Egan is 89.

Mr. Egan designed a home in the Town of Tonawanda to accommodate their growing family.

"Our home had the ability to house 11 people without us being on top of each other," said Egan Green. s. "The rooms were large and comfortable. It was unusual at that time to have a house that large in the Town of Tonawanda."

Mr. Egan started a business in the Town of Tonawanda called Edwin G. Egan, Architect, said another  daughter, Ellen Kavanaugh. He designed residential and commercial structures.

"No project was too big or too small," said Egan Green. "He did factories but also residential additions. He enjoyed any kind of design work, anything that would allow him to stretch his design muscles."

Mr. Egan was an active member of St. Amelia's Church Holy Name Society and the St. Vincent de Paul Society, Kavanaugh said. He also served as a scoutmaster for Boy Scout Troop 202.

Mr. Egan and his wife received the Lay Award of St. Joseph the Worker, given to outstanding laymen and women to recognize their efforts.

He liked to sing, said Egan Green.

"He would make up a song out of anything and sing it spontaneously. And he wasn't a crooner," she recalled. "Even in the hospital he was still singing."

His family recalled his clever wit that made complete strangers laugh out loud at unlikely moments.

"Anytime I was around him, I laughed," said Egan Green. "One time when he forgot to take his diabetes medication, he was taken by ambulance to the hospital. I followed, and when we arrived at the hospital, the ambulance's back door popped open. The two attendants were cracking up. I thought, 'I guess he's OK.'"

In addition to his wife and two daughters, Mr. Egan is survived by: four sons, Kevin, Sean, Daniel and William; two other daughters, Martha Hassenfratz and Anne; 19 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. A fifth daughter, Amy Altenburger, predeceased Mr. Egan.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 9 a.m. Monday in St. Amelia's Church, 210 St. Amelia Dr., Town of Tonawanda.

There are no comments - be the first to comment