1. The Bills aren’t giving up hope on rookie receiver Zay Jones playing Sunday against the New Orleans Saints, but Thursday was not a step in the right direction. Jones missed his third practice of the week as he deals with an ankle injury suffered in Week 9 against the New York Jets.
“He’s still day to day,” coach Sean McDermott said. “He’s made progress.”
2. Left tackle Cordy Glenn also missed his third practice of the week. McDermott maintained that Glenn is still day to day.
“Based on what I know it's day to day at this point,” he said. “We'll see.”
Asked if Glenn might practice Friday, McDermott jokingly told reporters to stop asking him the same question 15 different ways.
3. Tight end Charles Clay is expected to return to the lineup after missing three games with a knee injury suffered against Cincinnati.
“He practiced today and did some good things,” McDermott said. “The biggest thing deal is going to be, first week back, how he transitions from yesterday to today, which I thought was in the right direction.”
4. Cornerback E.J. Gaines is “close” to being in the same situation as Clay, McDermott said.
“E.J. was out there today, did some things,” he said. “You know, we'll just see how he looks going into the weekend.”
5. Wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin continues to pick up the offense and remains on track to make his debut with the Bills on Sunday.
“He's about where I thought he would be, honestly,” McDermott said. “He's still trying to get up to speed on everything. He's trying to detail his work. Again, in the context of coming in in the middle of the season, transitioning from one system to another system, you know, that's always a challenge. So he's done a good job to this point, we've just got to continue to go through the process, refine it, so that he can play fast on Sunday.”
6. Newly signed running back Travaris Cadet could make his Bills debut against his former team. “We'll see. Going against him over the years, I know what he brings to the table, so I think he's a versatile player that can do some things for us, not only on special teams, but also offensively as well,” McDermott said. “He's come in and done a really nice job. He understands the passing game. You know, he fits the system that way in terms of the offense and the running game as well.”
McDermott was asked if playing his former team could be an advantage in preparation for Cadet. “I would say there's probably some added motivation there when a team tells you you're not good enough, maybe,” the coach said. “I think there's a lot of guys in that locker room already that have that motivation.”
7. Left guard Richie Incognito was given a veteran rest day. He’s expected back at practice Friday.