Share this article

print logo

The Wraparound: Syracuse 3, Rochester 2

ROCHESTER – The Rochester Americans saw their two-game win streak end with a 3-2 loss to the Syracuse Crunch in Blue Cross Arena Saturday night.

It was a disappointing finish for the Amerks, who had a 2-1 lead with about 10 minutes to go in the third period but failed to close out the win. Syracuse scored a power-play goal midway through the third while Kevin Lynch scored the game-winner with 1:03 left in regulation.

"It was our game and we let it get away," Rochester coach Chris Taylor said.

"I think we're still trying to find our game for 60 minutes," Rochester forward Sahir Gill said. "We did some good things out there for sure. For the most part I thought we were in control of the game. We had a few mental lapses there in the third and we just need to try buckle down for 60 minutes and get a full game out of our team."

Speaking of Gill: He's on a roll. The forward scored on the power play at 9:40 of the first period to extend his goal streak to three games. The tally, with assists from Barry Goers and Taylor Fedun, gave the Amerks a 1-0 lead.

"I'm just put in good situations and I'm trying to make the most of that and trying to get pucks to the net," Gill said. "Sometimes you get the bounces. It's obviously a good feeling to get those to go in.

Giving it back: Syracuse tied the game with 3:07 left in the first when Michael Bournival created a turnover, took the puck at the right faceoff dot, and beat Amerks goalie Adam Wilcox on the short side.

Going to the net: Persistence and drive to the net often pay off. It did late in the second period for Kyle Criscuolo. The center took a shot from the right side. Syracuse goalie Michael Leighton made the save, but the puck bounced off his chest to a wide open C.J. Smith. Smith took a shot and Leighton made another save, but Criscuolo was parked in front of the net, stayed with the puck, and put it past Leighton for a 2-1 Rochester lead.

Tie game, again: With Kevin Porter in the penalty box for kneeing, Anthony Cirelli scored a power play goal to tie the game, 2-2, with 11:37 left in the third period. After the play, Wilcox immediately skated to the Amerks bench and into the locker room. Linus Ullmark went into the game. Wilcox finished with 12 saves in 49:10 of play.

"I think it was little dehydration more than anything," Taylor said about Wilcox. "He looked at me on the bench after the second goal and said he couldn't go anymore. So that's why Ullmark went in."

Game-winner: Lynch scored his second goal of the year, beating Ullmark with 1:03 left in regulation.

Back in the lineup: Saturday afternoon, Fedun was assigned to Rochester and promptly was in the Amerks lineup. Fedun, who played 27 games with the Sabres last season recording seven assists, played two games on his recent call-up to Buffalo with one assist.

Scratches: The Amerks scratched defensemen Nathan Paetsch, Connor Allen and Devante Stephens. Forwards Eric Cornell and Alexander Nylander were scratches, and Nylander still has yet to play a game this season. Nylander has been out with a lower body injury he sustained during the Prospects Challenge.

Counting the house: There were 3,400 in Blue Cross Arena Saturday night.

Up next: The Amerks travel to Utica to play the Comets on Nov. 1 then travel to Belleville, Ontario, for back-to-back road games against the new Ottawa Senators farm team on Nov. 10-11.

There are no comments - be the first to comment