Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Friday
1. Football - Friday Night Lights
A trip to New Era Field is on the line, with eight of the 10 semifinal matchups being played tonight. Here are three to keep an eye on:
- Class AA: 5-Jamestown at 1-Lancaster, 7:30 p.m.
- Class A: 4S-West Seneca East at 2S-South Park, 7 p.m. at All High Stadium
- Class B: 3-Dunkirk at 2-Cheektowaga, 7 p.m.
The Red Raiders, fresh off a double overtime win at Clarence, head to defending-champ Lancaster, which rolled over Hutch-Tech last week, 35-0. The Legends beat Jamestown in Week Six, 39-6.
Jacob Maurino and the Trojans ran all over Grand Island, taking down the top seed from the North Division, 28-14. The Sparks won a defensive slugfest against Williamsville East, 6-0. South Park won a 36-21 game at East in Week Six.
Cheektowaga-Dunkirk is a rematch of last year's Class B final at New Era Field. The Marauders won the shootout, 46-35, to dethrone the Warriors.
Here's the complete Week Nine playoff schedule:
2. Boys soccer - Class C & D finals at Sweet Home
Winners advance to next weekend's Far West Regionals at Spencerport in Rochester. Class D is Friday at 5 p.m. Class C is Saturday at 2:30 p.m.
Class D: 1-Pine Valley vs. 6-Lafayette, 5 p.m.
Pine Valley (8-8) snapped a four-game losing streak by beating Ellicottville in the semifinals, 2-1. Lafayette (2-15) has a 2-0 win over Franklinville in the quarterfinals and a 6-1 win over North Collins in the semis.
Class C: 1-Allegany-Limestone vs. 2-Westfield/Brocton, 7:30 p.m.
Allegany-Limestone (17-1) has given up only eight goals on the season, three of which came in a 3-0 loss to I-Prep/Grover. Dylan Talbot (22 goals) and Sam Flanders (17 goals) have scored more than half of the team's 68 goals. Westfield/Brocton (10-7-1) has had a high-scoring postseason with 7-3 and 3-1 wins over Silver Creek and Maple Grove, respectively.
3. Girls volleyball - Section VI quarterfinals
The field of girls volleyball teams left in the postseason will be cut considerably with 27 games on Friday. All start at 6 p.m. unless noted otherwise.
- 5-Williamsville North at 4-Lockport, 5 p.m.
- 7-Jamestown at 2-Orchard Park
- 6-Frontier at 3-Lancaster
- 8-Kenmore East at 1-Williamsville East
- 5-Williamsville South at 4-Hamburg
- 7-Hutch-Tech at 2-Niagara Wheatfield, 5 p.m.
- 6-Kenmore West at 3-Grand Island
- 9-Olean at 1-East Aurora
- 5-Cheektowaga at 4-Iroquois, 5 p.m.
- 7-Depew at 2-Maryvale
- 6-Lew-Port at 3-I-Prep/Grover
- 8-Fredonia at 1-Alden
- 5-MST Seneca at 4-Springville
- 7-Dunkirk at 2-Medina
- 6-Newfane at 3-Tonawanda
- 8-Southwestern at 1-Akron
- 5-Gowanda at 4-Wilson
- 7-JFK at 2-Eden
- 6-Roy-Hart at 3-Olmsted
- 8-Holland at 1-Cassadaga Valley
- 5-Tapestry at 4-Cleveland Hill
- 7-Silver Creek at 2-Portville
- 6-Allegany-Limestone at 3-Chautauqua Lake
- 8-Randolph at 1-Lafayette
- 5-Panama at 4-Forestville
- 7-Ellicottville at 2-Maple Grove
- 6-North Collins at 3-Cattaraugus/Little Valley
4. Boys volleyball - Division II prequarterfinals
The Section VI postseason gets underway in boys volleyball with five prequarterfinal matchups. Winners hit the road for the quarterfinals this coming Wednesday.
- 11-Kenmore East at 6-Williamsville South, 6 p.m
- 10-Hutch-Tech at 7-Niagara Wheatfield, 7 p.m.
- 9-Kenmore West at 8-West Seneca West, 6 p.m.
- 10-Holland at 7-Iroquois, 7 p.m.
- 9-East Aurora at 8-Amherst, 6 p.m.
- Boys volleyball: V-McQuaid at Canisius, 7 p.m.
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
* * *
Story topics: Homeroom Announcements