Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Thursday
1. Boys soccer - Class A finals at Sweet Home
Winners advance to next Wednesday's overall final back at Sweet Home.
Class A-2: 1-East Aurora vs. 2-Starpoint, 5 p.m.
The Blue Devils (18-0) are the last undefeated team left in Western New York and have only given up two (TWO!) goals all season. They beat the Spartans (12-5-1), 1-0, early in the season on Oct. 31.
East Aurora's Bryce Schiltz (25 goals, seven assists) and Starpoint's Max Balko (14 goals, eight assists) are two of the top players in the area.
Class A-1: 1-Grand Island vs. 7-Kenmore West, 7:30 p.m.
The Vikings (12-3-3) go for the three-peat against a familiar Niagara Frontier League foe in Kenmore West (10-8-1).
After starting the season with a 2-3-3 record, Grand Island has won the past 10 in a row. That includes a 3-1 win over the Blue Devils, who upset No. 2 Williamsville East in the quarterfinals and then beat McKinley in the semifinals by 2-1 scores.
2. Field hockey - Class A & B semifinals at Williamsville North
Winners advance to next Wednesday's sectional finals.
- 1-Williamsville North vs. 4-Lancaster, 6 p.m.
- 2-Clarence vs. 3-Orchard Park, 6 p.m.
The Spartans (16-0) look to keep their undefeated season going against Lancaster (10-7). They beat the Legends, 1-0, two weeks ago. The Red Devils (13-3) beat the Quakers (9-7), 2-0, back on Sept. 15.
- 1-Iroquois vs. 4-Amherst, 8 p.m.
- 2-Williamsville East vs. 3-Williamsville South, 8 p.m.
The Chiefs (15-1-1) beat the Tigers (11-6), 1-0, just last Monday. The Flames (13-3-1) needed two second-half goals to beat their crosstown rival Billies (11-6), 2-1, back on Sept. 15.
3. Football - Week Nine Thursday Night Lights
All five Chuck Funke Memorial Classic finals are set for tonight. The matchups are below:
Chuck Funke Memorial Classic semifinals
- Class AA: Clarence vs. Orchard Park, 8:15 p.m. at Depew
- Class A: McKinley vs. Williamsville South, 5:30 p.m at Depew
- Class B: Medina vs. Olean, 7:45 p.m. at Pioneer
- Class C: Cassadaga Valley/Falconer vs. Gowanda/Pine Valley, 5 p.m. at Pioneer
- Class D: Salamanca at Cattaraugus/Little Valley, 6 p.m.
4. Cross country - All-High Championships at Delaware Park
The best cross country runners from the Buffalo Public Schools convene at Delaware Park for the All-High Championships. Racing starts at 5 p.m.
- Girls volleyball: Eden at St. Mary's of Lancaster, 6 p.m.
- Boys volleyball: Clarence at Canisius, 6:30 p.m.
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
* * *
Story topics: Homeroom Announcements