Through Friday's games. Preseason rankings in parentheses.
1. Tampa Bay Lightning. With Stamkos back, they look Cup-ready as advertised (7)
2. Toronto Maple Leafs. How much is Matthews going to get this summer on his extension? (5)
3. St. Louis Blues. Stastny gets 600th career point in win over Avs. (3)
4. Los Angeles Kings. Seem to have quickly found their stride under new coach Stevens (12)
5. Pittsburgh Penguins. Statement made: Are 5-1 since that 10-1 loss in Chicago. (13)
6. New Jersey Devils. First two career NHL goals for No. 1 overall pick Hischier (11)
7. Columbus Blue Jackets. They're really good, and Sabres' visit Wednesday could be really ugly (6)
8. Chicago Blackhawks. Oddly stagnant in losses to Blues, Oilers. (2)
9. Vegas Golden Knights. Nice team but let's see how they do on some upcoming long road trips (9)
10. Washington Capitals. Ovi's OT goal clips Wings, sets NHL record as 20th of career. (1)
11. Nashville Predators. Slow start for Bonino, sidelined by another foot injury. (18)
12. Detroit Red Wings. Finally got one-year deal done with Athanasiou, NHL's last RFA (4)
13. Ottawa Senators. Karlsson is back, will be interesting to gauge his mobility. (10)
14. Carolina Hurricanes. Nice start in goal for Darling at 2.20/.911. (19)
15. Philadelphia Flyers. Unveiled statue of longtime owner Ed Snider onn arena plaza. (16)
16. Winnipeg Jets. Wheeler, best college free agent to choose his team, gets 200th NHL goal. (17)
17. Calgary Flames. Re-election of mayor that Bettman abhors could hinder pursuit of new arena. (15)
18. Colorado Avalanche. Got hosed out of at least a point as NHL apologizes for blown offside challenge in loss to Blues. (8)
19. Dallas Stars. Two-goal night for Seguin pulls out struggle at winless Arizona (27).
20. Vancouver Canucks. On back-to-back here Friday, Sabres gave them an easy night. (24).
21. Minnesota Wild. Foligno back, Parise still out. (21)
22. San Jose Sharks. They miss Marleau something fierce. (23)
23. Boston Bruins. Jumped on Canucks with four first-period goals. Sabres must not have noticed. (25)
24. New York Islanders. The Tavares Distraction will last all season (26).
25. Florida Panthers. Still think they made a mistake not re-signing Jagr. (14)
26. Anaheim Ducks. Injury-riddled lineup was perfect remedy for Sabres' winless start. (20)
27. Edmonton Oilers. Badly needed OT win in Chicago (22).
28. Montreal Canadiens. And you though Sabres were bad? These guys were supposed to be good. (28)
29. New York Rangers. Leaks to plug all over the place. (29)
30. Buffalo Sabres. Vancouver game was a shameful show for home fans after decent road trip. (30)
31. Arizona Coyotes. Boy Wonder GM Chayka looking over his head so far (31)