We know there's no homeroom today. But we're up and ready to go.
Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Saturday
1. Football - Week Eight Saturday
There are five local games on today's schedule, three of which come in the Section VI playoffs:
- Class B: 8-Pioneer at 1-Lackawanna, 1 p.m. at Veterans Stadium
- Class D: 6-Cattaraugus/Little Valley at 3-Clymer/Sherman/Panama, 1:30 p.m. at Clymer
- Class C: 4S-Allegany-Limestone at 1N-Cleveland Hill, 2 p.m.
Last year as the No. 8 seed, Lackawanna upset top-seeded Medina in the Class B quarterfinals before losing to eventual-champ Dunkirk in the semis. Pioneer not only needed to beat Burgard last week to move into the eighth spot, but it needed to do so by 18 points. The Panthers accomplished that with a 39-12 win.
Clymer/Sherman/Panama is among the sleepers to watch for in Class D. Its two losses came to Franklinville/Ellicottville and Maple Grove. Cattaraugus/Little Valley lost a 41-18 game to CSP back in Week Two.
Defending Class C champ Cleveland Hill is dominating opponents with their powerful ground game and stingy defense. Allegany-Limestone lost two straight close games heading into the playoffs.
2. Boys soccer - Class B & D semifinals
There are six games across two classes on Saturday:
at Sweet Home
- B-1: 2-Newfane vs. 3-I-Prep/Grover, noon
- B-1: 1-Lackawanna vs. 5-Olean, 2:30 p.m.
- B-2: 2-Southwestern vs. 6-Riverside, 5 p.m.
- B-2: 1-Burgard vs. 4-Olmsted, 7:30 p.m.
The top three teams in the small schools poll are in Class B-1. No. 2 and defending champ I-Prep takes on No. 3 Newfane. No. 1 Lackawanna takes on honorable mention Olean.
Three of the four teams in Class B-2 come from the D'Youville Cup. Southwestern is No. 4 in the small schools poll. Burgard beat Olmsted 7-1 and 3-2 during the regular season.
Winners advance to Wednesday's Class B finals back at Sweet Home. Class B-2 is at 5 p.m. and B-1 at 7:30 p.m.
- 2-North Collins vs. 6-Lafayette, 5 p.m.
- 1-Pine Valley vs. 4-Ellicottville, 7:30 p.m.
Today's Class D winners head to next Friday's 5 p.m. final at Sweet Home.
Pine Valley and North Collins earned a bye into the semifinals, while Ellicottville shut out Frewsburg, 6-0, and Lafayette blanked Franklinville, 2-0, in the quarterfinals on Tuesday.
3. Girls tennis - Section VI Championships
The Section VI Championships in girls tennis wrap up on Saturday. Play at the Miller Tennis Center begins with the semifinals at 3 p.m.
4. Cross country - Clarence Fall Classic
The lone local cross country meet on Saturday is the Clarence Fall Classic at Akron Falls Park. Racing starts at 11 a.m.
5. Boys volleyball - Hamburg & Grand Island tournaments
Boys volleyball tournaments at Hamburg and Grand Island both start at 8 a.m. this morning.
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
* * *
Story topics: Homeroom Announcements