Share this article

print logo

The Wraparound: Golden Knights 5, Sabres 4 (OT)

LAS VEGAS -- The Buffalo Sabres had rolled snake eyes most of the night. But in the last 10 minutes of the third period, they erupted for three goals to wipe out a 4-1 deficit and force overtime against the Vegas Golden Knights.

The stunning comeback assured the Sabres of a point. But in the end, Vegas pulled out a 5-4 victory on David Perron's wrist shot with 1:08 left in OT. It was Perron's second goal of the game.

The Golden Knights continue to be one of the biggest stories in the NHL's first month. The Sabres continue to be one the league's biggest mysteries.

Vegas improved to a stunning 5-1 in its first season, including 3-1 in T-Mobile Arena. The Sabres fell to 1-4-2. Buffalo went 1-2-1 on its Western road trip.

Reilly Smith had a goal and an assist for the Golden Knights, who gave up the first goal of the game to Ryan O'Reilly. Vegas then scored four straight against Chad Johnson, who made his second consecutive start in the Buffalo goal and couldn't do much against any of the Vegas tallies.

The Sabres looked done in a 4-1 hole midway through the third before their big comeback. They outshot Vegas, 17-6, in the finnal 20 minutes.

Life of O'Reilly: The Buffalo center scored for the first time this season, tallying on a pair of power plays. One was at 6:24 of the first period and the other with 10 minutes left in the third. O'Reilly did not score in the last three games last season, so he was going on his 10th straight contest without a goal.

Late stunners: Sam Reinhart's goal with 1:58 left, also on a power play, got Buffalo within one and Evander Kane scored with 8.9 seconds left by swatting a puck out of mid-air to miraculously tie the game with goaltender Chad Johnson on the bench.

Another injury: Sabres center Jacob Josefson missed the game with an ankle injury suffered Sunday in Anaheim and Zemgus Girgensons left after one period Tuesday after taking a shot on his foot while killing a penalty.

On the power play: The Sabres entered the game just 2 for 22 with the man advantage this season -- including 0 for 13 on the road. But they converted on their first chance Tuesday just 34 seconds after Perron went off for interference as O'Reilly leaked a shot through Subban as Matt Moulson created some traffic in front.

Getting even: The Golden Knights took advantage of a 2-on-1 break, a seasonlong Sabres bugaboo to date, as Oscar Lindberg took a Reilly Smith pass and had an easy tap-in at 14:15 of the first. Rasmus Ristolainen's bad pass was intercepted near center ice to send the Knights away and Matt Tennyson was unable to stop the pass.

Ugly second: Vegas outshot the Sabres, 12-7, in the second period and dominated play much of the stanza. The Sabres have been outscored, 12-6, in the second period this year, easily the most goals they've given up in any period. Only Pittsburgh (14) has given up more goals in the middle period this year.

Standing on his own: Syracuse native Alex Tuch gave Vegas a 2-1 lead at 6:40 of the second period, deflecting Deryk Engelland's long shot from the point. Tuch got behind Jake McCabe and was standing untouched on the edge of the crease in front of Johnson.

Two-goal trouble: The Golden Knights made it 3-1 at 18:37 on Smith's laser from the left circle just inside the post. It finally gave them a goal on their fifth power play of the night.

Drive home safely: Perron's goal at 3:50 of the third period made it 4-1 and essentially ended the suspense. At least that was the thought at the time.

Aircraft Carrier: Former Sabres forward William Carrier, plucked by the Golden Knights in the expansion draft, gave his old team fits by drawing three penalties. Carrier burst by Marco Scandella, who slashed him for the third penalty at 17:27 of the second period. It took Vegas 70 seconds to convert on the Smith goal.

In the house: The Golden Knights announced a sellout crowd of 17,617. There was ample representation of Buffalo fans wearing Blue and Gold. They started a huge "Let's Go Buffalo" chant shortly after the opening faceoff and roared after the first O'Reilly goal but were mostly silent until the big comeback at the end.

Up Next: The Sabres will fly home Wednesday morning and take the day off. They have a back-to-back slated for this weekend, with the Vancouver Canucks at KeyBank Center on Friday night and Buffalo then meeting the Bruins in Boston on Saturday.

Story topics: / /

There are no comments - be the first to comment