Share this article

print logo

'She's getting help she needs,' mother of pregnant Niagara Falls addict says

Alicia M. Davidson, the pregnant heroin addict from Niagara Falls, is believed to be in a drug rehabilitation facility in Buffalo.

Her parents had been looking for her on the streets of Niagara Falls after a city judge twice released her without bail despite the parents'  request that she be kept in custody so she wouldn't have access to drugs while she was pregnant.

Because of health privacy laws, officials are tight-lipped about her situation.

"We were able to obtain information that she was not in any danger and was seeking treatment," Niagara Falls Police Superintendent E. Bryan DalPorto said..

The woman's parents, William and Marilyn Orndorff of Newfane, said they received a tip that Alicia had checked into a treatment center as early as Sept. 17, the day The Buffalo News published an article about their search for her.

Because of privacy laws, they have been unable to obtain any confirmation, her parents said.

But Marilyn Orndorff thinks the information she and her husband received was reliable.

"She's getting the help she needs, and so is her baby," the woman's mother said.

Alicia M. Davidson (Courtesy Niagara Falls Police Department)

Davidson, 36, who is believed to be eight months pregnant, was arrested Aug. 6 on misdemeanor charges of possession of heroin and crack cocaine at a vacant house on Niagara Street in the Falls.

The next day, she was released without having to post bail, at the request of Lawrence G. Stuart, a Niagara County assistant public defender, which was approved by Niagara Falls City Judge Danielle M. Restaino.

She ordered Davidson to return to court two weeks later, and issued a bench warrant when Davidson missed court.

Davidson was picked up by police Aug. 25, but again Restaino released her on her own recognizance. She skipped a Sept. 6 date to be screened for court-supervised drug treatment and also missed a court appearance the next day. Restaino then issued another warrant.

"She still has an active warrant that we would execute if we have contact with her," DalPorto said.

The Orndorffs searched the streets of inner-city Niagara Falls repeatedly for Alicia during August and September and spotted her twice, but she wouldn't respond to their shouts as she scurried away.

The Orndorffs strongly criticized the court system, saying it would have been better to hold Alicia in jail because of her pregnancy, so she would not have access to drugs.

In what they later said was a mistake, they posted $100 bail for her at the Niagara County Jail July 6 after Alicia had been held for eight days for failing to pay a traffic fine in Lewiston. They brought her to their Newfane home, but the same day she returned to the Falls. They haven't talked to her since.

"We're just keeping our fingers crossed and praying for the best. We're talking about a baby here, and our daughter," William Orndorff said.





There are no comments - be the first to comment