You want hockey coverage? It's everywhere in today's editions of The Buffalo News and Buffalonews.com. We've got your top-line approach to Jack Eichel's contract extension and the entire 2017-18 season for both the Sabres and NHL with our annual NHL Preview Section.
We'll have the latest from practice on Wednesday morning on the eve of the season opener against Montreal, as well as from Eichel's contract press conference. That's slated for 2 p.m., with owner Terry Pegula and General Manager Jason Botterill joining the proceedings.
The links to all of today's coverage, starting with Eichel's extension:
- It's an eight-year, $80-million deal for the Sabres' marquee man, which will lock him up through 2025-26 and put him in the high-rent district of the NHL's salary structure.
- John Vogl's Power Take: With Eichel poised to enter the NHL's elite, it was a smart move by all sides to get this deal done now.
- My column on Eichel: History says Year Three of a young star's career is a big step forward. Does Eichel have an 85- or 90-point season in the offing?
- Money men: Where does Eichel's salary rank?
- Predicting Eichel's production: Our team weighs in on his 2017-18 stats.
NHL Preview Section
- John Vogl's cover story: As Phil Housley stepped behind the bench, he knew he was in the right place.
- The Housley method: It's all systems go as Housley emphasizes aggressiveness.
- Jerry Sullivan's column: In Buffalo's race to the playoffs, do the Sabres hold the edge over the Bills?
- The GM's family affair: My look at Jason Botterill's incredible athletic family, featuring an Olympian mother and sister, and a father who might be Canada's pre-eminent sports psychologist.
- Vogl's Sabres team preview: What makes this season different?
- Vogl's Five Reasons -- For optimism and pessimism
- Division by Division: A hat trick of questions for each of the NHL's four groups.
- Harrington's Power Rankings: The Penguins start out on top.
- Vogl's Stick Taps: Five candidates for the Hart Trophy.
- Amy Moritz's Stick Taps: Five great social media feeds to follow.
- Harrington's Stick Taps: New home ices in Vegas and Detroit and more on the arena front.
- Moritz's Amerks preview: The farm club has a new coach but an old playoff drought it needs to snap.
- Mixed Media Roundtable: Greg Connors checks in with national media members on their thoughts of the Sabres' new leaders.
- Staff selections: Vogl, Harrington and Moritz make their choices for the season's winners and weight in on the Sabres' season as well.
From Tuesday's Practice
- Newly acquired defenseman Nathan Beaulieu will have a chip on his shoulder when he meets his former team in Thursday's opener.
- Sabres Notebook: Seth Griffith is locked in to a spot at forward after a strong training camp.
On the Prospect Watch
- A quick start for Brandon Hagel, with three goals and five points in his first two games at Red Deer of the Western Hockey League.
- Locals in the pros: Follow our list of NHL and AHL players with Western New York ties, leading off with the news that Eden's Alex Iafallo has cracked the opening-night lineup for the Los Angeles Kings.