One thing is for certain, this week's Buffalo News large and small schools football polls definitely were attention-getting.
A pair of new No. 1 teams tends to do that.
It was interesting to see three teams earn at least one first-place vote in the large school poll, which played a role in the shift that resulted in Canisius returning to the No. 1 spot with unbeaten Lancaster dropping to the second spot.
Since the rankings that followed Week Two's action, Lancaster had either shared the top spot or been ranked first outright.
Three teams received at least two votes in the small schools poll, resulting in unbeaten Maryvale rising from No. 3 to No. 1, knocking down Cheektowaga to No. 2. The Flyers received five first-place votes, as a 47-point first quarter may have swayed a couple of voters to their side. Defending Class B champion Dunkirk ranks third and received two votes. Cheektowaga nabbed three.
So, how did The News vote after Week Five's games? Here's the answer.
1. Canisius (4-1). Crusaders use 28-point fourth quarter to foil O'Hara's bid for the upset, still win by three touchdowns.
2. Lancaster (5-0). School records fall like autumn leaves at Foyle/Kling in triumph over Niagara Wheatfield.
3. West Seneca West (5-0). Indians take battle between the unbeaten Southtowns teams on Homecoming Night over Lackawanna.
4. South Park (5-0). Second straight close win. Another tough test awaits against West Seneca East.
5. Williamsville North (5-0). Huge road win on a Thursday night in Jamestown means Spartans are two wins away from potentially securing a top two seed and home-field advantage for the playoffs.
6. Grand Island (4-1). Attention-getting win for Dean Santorio's crew.
7. Starpoint (4-1). Must shake off first division loss in years quickly as another big contest against Williamsville South looms.
8. Williamsville East (3-2). Wins over Williamasville South and Sweet Home set up …
9. Williamsville South (4-1). Wild and crazy finished for five teams in Class A North.
10. Sweet Home (4-1). With Sweet Home also in that mix of teams vying for one of the four playoff spots with big clash against Grand Island on docket Friday.
1. Cheektowaga (4-1). But, Burgard always gives the Warriors trouble.
2. Dunkirk (5-0). Win over very good Southwestern team sets up showdown against Albion for Class B-2 Division crown on Friday.
3. Maryvale (5-0). 47 points in the first quarter!!!
4. Franklinville/Ellicottville (5-0): They look great.
5. Lackawanna (4-1). Lost battle of unbeatens against No. 3 large school West Seneca West but did hold high-scoring Indians to 35 points.
6. Albion (5-0). Playoffs! Playoffs! Playoffs!
7. Cleve Hill (4-1). Focused on capturing division and a No. 1 seed.
8. Newfane (4-1). They are the Panthers. Hear them roar.
9. Southwestern (3-2). Back to back close losses to ranked teams that are also defending Section VI champions in their respective classifications.
10. St. Mary's (4-1). The Lancers quadrupled last year's win total. Good work by all involved.