Share this article

print logo

Mulch fire damages Grand Island home

Grand Island firefighters Monday put out a mulch fire that ignited some vinyl siding on a house on Jamestown Road, fire officials said.

Firefighters were alerted to the fire shortly before 8 a.m. by a 911 dispatcher who got reports from neighbors that flames were shooting out of a nearby house.

According to Dan Mathes, assistant fire chief with the Grand Island Fire Company, firefighters found a mulch fire near the front entrance of the house which had ignited some vinyl siding.

Erie County Sheriff's deputies had started the firefighting by using a garden hose on the flames. Firefighters took over and put out the fire.

Damage, estimated at $1,000, was confined to the exterior of the house. Spontaneous combustion was determined to be the cause, according to fire officials.

Story topics:

There are no comments - be the first to comment