Buffalo Bills General Manager Brandon Beane joined John Murphy and Donald Jones on WGR-550 AM on Thursday.
Beane discussed balancing the injury status of Tyrod Taylor with the opportunity presented to Nathan Peterman, should the Bills' starting signal caller be unable to recover in time for Week One. Beane also talked about the key traits he looks at in quarterbacks, saying Peterman's arm is "good enough" for the NFL and that anticipation will have to be Peterman's hallmark to succeed in the league.
Additionally, Beane talked about what was at stake for the bubble players on the team heading into the final preseason game, as well as the mechanics of evaluating other team's cuts at the same time.
Former Bills player and current color commentator Mark Kelso also joined the show to talk about the players he will be looking at during the final preseason game, as well as the inability coaching-wise to ascertain teams' strengths and weaknesses via the final preseason game.
Finally, former Bills head coach Marv Levy also appeared, regaling Murphy and Jones with stories from coaching and a short chat about his last book.
- 0:00-15:00: How stressful is the last preseason game for players playing with a new quarterback?
- 15:00-17:00: Discussion of coaching intrigue regarding personnel, logistics, replay challenges, etc.
- 17:00-22:00: Discussion on right guard and defensive line competitions and how the fourth game can determine who claims spots, as well as the importance of following concussion protocol with Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates.
- 22:00-26:00: Discussion of "Tyrod Fatigue" among fans and the most intriguing potential cuts
- 39:00-4:00: Argument against tanking, while John Murphy and Donald Jones discuss teams like the Philadelphia 76ers and Edmonton Oilers
- 1:04:00-1:28:00: Chat with Mark Kelso
- 1:35:00-1:46:00: Interview with former Bills head coach Marv Levy
- 1:46:00-2:01:00: Interview with ESPN's Bill Barnwell
- 2:13:00-2::00: Top seven storylines heading into the regular season
- 2:30:00-2:46:00: Interview with Brandon Beane
Brandon Beane: "When I got here, [Peterman] is better than we expected. ... He has the moxie, the competitiveness, the leadership ... that's what you're looking for in leaders."
John Murphy: "Tanking is a rupture that poisons the relationship between teams and their fans."
Mark Kelso: "What's your mental acuity when you're tired?"