We're back for another school year, getting you ready each morning for all the noteworthy #PrepTalkLive action across Western New York.
Without further ado, here's everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Saturday
1. Boys soccer - Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament
Sweet Home's annual Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament wraps up with an eight-game slate that finishes up in the afternoon.
Among Friday night's notable results include a 2-1 Lackawanna win over McKinley and a 4-3 come-from-behind win by Kenmore West over Williamsville South.
- Kenmore West vs. Orchard Park, 10 a.m.
- Niagara Wheatfield vs. Wmsv. East, 10 a.m.
- Lancaster vs. Newfane, 10 a.m.
- Grand Island vs. Wmsv. North, 10 a.m.
- Lackawanna vs. Wmsv. South, noon
- Kenmore East vs. North Collins, noon
- Hamburg vs. McKinley, noon
- Sweet Home vs. West Seneca West, noon
2. Boys volleyball - Clarence Invitational
One of the season's biggest volleyball tournaments will be an early gauge of how the top teams in Western New York stack up against one another. Pool play begins at 8:30 a.m.
3. Football - Scrimmage Saturday
Coaches get one last look at their respective teams against live action before they start officially prepping for Week 1, which is less than one week (!) away. #PrepTalkPlug: Our high school football season preview section comes out in print Wednesday.
View today's scrimmage schedule below:
4. Soccer - Tonawanda Tournament
Tonawanda's boys and girls soccer teams opened their seasons with losses and failed to make the championships of their kick-off tournaments.
North Tonawanda and Riverside face off in the boys final at 5 p.m. The girls final at 7 p.m. features old Niagara-Orleans League foes Medina and Starpoint.
5. Boys soccer - Frontier Tournament
The Falcons take on Cheektowaga in the championship game of their home tournament at 1:30 p.m. after beating Eden yesterday, 6-0. The Warriors beat City Honors, 3-2, in penalty kicks.
- Girls soccer: Kenmore West at Wilson, 10 a.m.
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
* * *
Story topics: Homeroom Announcements