BALTIMORE – The Buffalo Bills made a move to lock up one of their veteran leaders Saturday.
The team announced before their preseason game here against the Ravens that center Eric Wood agreed to a two-year contract extension through the 2019 season. Wood was entering the final year of his contract. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported Saturday that the contract includes $16 million in "new money."
General Manager Brandon Beane said the team entered into discussions with Wood's agent a couple weeks ago.
" You're always hoping to get it done as quick as you can," Beane said. "Contracts happen when they're supposed to. This afternoon, things came together with he and his agent and we were able to get it done and get it inked before we got on the field tonight.
"Eric's done a great job since he was drafted here in '09. We think he's still playing well. We think he's a leader up front, not only on the O-line but on the offense. He's a guy that we feel is part of what we're doing going forward and he's going into the last year of his deal so we wanted to get something done."
Wood, 31, has spent his entire eight-year career with the Bills since being a first-round draft pick of the team in 2009. He started nine games last season before a broken leg suffered on Monday Night Football against the Seattle Seahawks ended his season. Before that, Wood had played in 59 consecutive games, which was the fifth-longest streak among active NFL centers.
"You want to extend the guys that are your leaders and help spread your message," Wood said. Coach Sean McDermott "has been here a little longer than I and this is our first year, but he's a guy that we've noticed the leadership. His play speaks for itself. He's a guy that we wanted to move forward with."