A 7-year-old girl died Friday night when a fire broke out at a home at 1632 South Ave. in Niagara Falls, Mayor Paul Dyster's office confirmed.
Two adults and 12 children, all from one family, safely escaped the home, according to the Niagara Falls Fire Department.
Firefighters found the young victim on the upper floor of the two-story frame building.
The fire was caused by food left cooking on a stovetop, according to a source close to the investigation who is not authorized to speak on the matter. An investigation is actively ongoing.
The American Red Cross is providing residents with emergency assistance and emotional support.
Monetary donations and gift cards can be directed to the Lucas Family in care of Morningstar Ministries, 2903 21st St. in Niagara Falls. The family is also in need of shelf-stable food and microwaveable items.