Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Thursday
1. Softball - Class A-1, A-2, B-1, B-2, C-1 & C-2 finals
The first six softball sectional champs are set to be crowned on Thursday, weather permitting.
- 1-Williamsville East vs. 3-Williamsville South, 4:45 p.m. at Wmsv. North
- 3-Olean vs. 4-Amherst, 7 p.m. at Wmsv. North
The Flames have outscored their first two postseason opponents by a combined 15-1, while the Billies have yet to yield a run with 5-0 and 4-0 wins over both West Seneca teams. East won both ECIC II meetings against South by close 6-5 and 7-5 scores.
Olean and Amherst knocked out the top two seeds in Class A-2 to make it to today's final. The Huskies won their 10th game in a row with a 5-3 win at 2-Maryvale. The Tigers only scored one run in the semifinals, but that's all they needed for the 1-0 win over 1-Lew-Port.
The winners meet Tuesday in the Class A championship at Williamsville North at 7 p.m.
- 1-Depew vs. 2-Alden, 4:30 p.m. at Wmsv. North
- 1-Eden vs. 3-Medina, 7 p.m. at Wmsv. North
Depew and Alden clash in the B-1 final for the third straight season. Depew won last season and Alden won the season before. The Wildcats swept the Bulldogs in ECIC III with 3-1 and 6-0 wins.
Eden has dominated on the way to the final with 7-0 and 10-2 wins over Gowanda and Roy-Hart, respectively. Medina, meanwhile, won a pair of one-run games. The Mustangs beat Southwestern, 5-4, last week, and went on the road Tuesday to beat 2-Fredonia, 1-0.
The Class B championship will be Tuesday at Williamsville North at 5 p.m.
- 3-Cassadaga Valley vs. 4-Chautauqua Lake, 4:30 p.m. at Prommenschenkel Park, Dunkirk
- 1-Portville vs. 3-Maple Grove, 7 p.m. at Prommenschenkel Park, Dunkirk
The offense has been grooving for Cassadaga Valley with 23-1 and 8-1 wins in the playoffs so far. The Cougars take on Chautauqua Lake, which upset defending Class C sectional champ 1-Cleveland Hill with a 4-2 win on Tuesday.
Portville has scored 23 runs and hasn't had a run cross the plate against it so for this postseason. Maple Grove went 6-8 during the regular season but picked up 12-2 and 5-2 wins over Randolph and Silver Creek, respectively, on its way to the final.
The Class C championship is this coming Tuesday at Prommenschenkel Park in Dunkirk at 5:30 p.m.
2. Lacrosse - Monsignor Martin finals
Canisius College is the place to be for Thursday's Monsignor Martin lacrosse championships.
- Mount St. Mary vs. Mount Mercy, 4:30 p.m.
- St. Joe's vs. Canisius, 7:30 p.m.
Mount St. Mary rolled by Buffalo Seminary, 11-4, behind four goals from Kaitlyn Hart and another three by Maeve Kearney. Mount Mercy edged out Sacred Heart, 6-5.
St. Joe's looks for its second straight Catholic title after a 10-9 overtime win over Canisius in the final last year. The Marauders won two 8-7 games over the Crusaders during the regular season.
3. Baseball/Softball - Class AA & Class D semifinals
- 4-Williamsville North at 1-Lancaster, 5 p.m.
- 3-Kenmore West at 2-Clarence, 5 p.m.
- 4-Pine Valley at 1-North Collins, 5 p.m.
- 3-Brocton at 2-Franklinville, 5 p.m.
Lancaster has won 16 in a row since losing its opener at Williamsville North, which the Legends host today for a spot in Saturday's final. The other spot will be filled by either Clarence, which swept North in ECIC I this season, or Kenmore West, which won the Niagara Frontier League for the first time since 1992.
North Collins and Pine Valley are familiar with one another. The Eagles won 2-1 and 12-0 games over the Panthers in CCAA East II. Franklinville and Brocton both went 8-2 in their respective divisions. Fanklinville handed North Collins both of its league losses. Brocton split with 9-1 Westfield in CCAA West II. The final is set for Saturday at a to-be-determined location.
- 5-Williamsville North at 1-Lancaster, 4:45 p.m.
- 3-Niagara Wheatfield at 2-Orchard Park, 4:45 p.m.
- 4-Forestville at 1-Franklinville, 4:45 p.m.
- 3-North Collins at 2-Panama, 4:45 p.m.
The Legends host Williamsville North in softball as well on Thursday. Lancaster's undefeated at 21-0 this season, including 6-4 and 9-5 ECIC I wins over the Spartans. Orchard Park is the two-time defending Class AA champ, while Niagara Wheatfield is the last school not named the Orchard Park or Clarence to win a Class AA title. That happened back in 2011. The AA final is next Tuesday at Williamsville North at 4:30 p.m.
Class D also features an unbeaten team in Franklinville, which is 12-0 and has yet to yield more than three runs in any of those games. Forestville is coming off of a 5-0 win over Clymer on Tuesday. Panama's record is 13-1 with its lone loss coming to Class C-1 finalist Cassadaga Valley. North Collins was the runner-up in Class D last season, losing a 1-0 game to Franklinville. The Class D final comes next Tuesday at Prommenschenkel Park in Dunkirk at 4 p.m.
4. Lacrosse - Section VI semifinals
- 4-Frontier at 1-Orchard Park, 5 p.m.
- 3-Clarence at 2-Lancaster, 5 p.m.
- 4-Williamsville East at 1-Hamburg, 7:30 p.m.
- 3-Williamsville North at 2-Niagara Wheatfield, 5 p.m.
- 4-East Aurora at 1-Grand Island, 5 p.m.
- 6-Amherst at 2-West Seneca East, 7:30 p.m.
- 5-Gowanda at 1-Akron, 5 p.m.
- 3-Medina at 2-Eden, 5:30 p.m.
Five-time defending Class A champ Orchard Park hosts Frontier, which beat Lockport on Tuesday, 19-4. Lancaster's only loss this season came at OP, while Clarence beat the Quakers, 9-8, and lost to the Legends in overtime, 9-8. Hamburg's the five-time reigning champ in Class B, and the Bulldogs host a Williamsville East team they beat 12-2 on March 31. Niagara Wheatfield won a 14-8 game at Williamsville North on May 9.
Class A (5 p.m.) and B (7:30 p.m.) finals are next Thursday at All High Stadium.
Grand Island went 11-0 in division play this season, including 10-4 and 10-1 wins over East Aurora. West Seneca East won an 8-6 game at Amherst earlier this season. The Tigers upset No. 3 Iroquois in the quarterfinals, 12-11, in overtime.
The Class C and D finals are next Thursday at Williamsville North. C at 5 p.m. and D afterward at 7:30 p.m.
- 4-Clarence at 1-Frontier, 5:15 p.m.
- 3-Orchard Park at 2-Lancaster, 4:45 p.m.
- 4-Williamsville North at 1-Hamburg, 5:30 p.m.
- 3-West Seneca West at 2-Niagara Wheatfield, 4:45 p.m.
- 4-Grand Island at 1-Lake Shore, 4:45 p.m.
- 3-Amherst at 2-West Seneca East, 4:45 p.m.
- 4-Salamanca at 1-East Aurora, 4:45 p.m.
- 3-Gowanda at 2-Eden, 4;45 p.m.
Undefeated Frontier dominated Clarence in 15-1 and 15-4 games during league play. Orchard Park beat Lancaster, 7-6, on April 21 before the Legends rebounded with a 19-9 win over the Quakers on May 10. Hamburg swept North, 15-5 and 17-11 this season. Niagara Wheatfield and West Seneca West split during the regular season.
Defending Class C champ Lake Shore is the favorite to repeat. The Eagles beat Grand Island, 15-5, last Thursday. West Seneca East pulled out a 13-10 win against Amherst on April 25. East Aurora went 8-0 in Class D with two of those wins coming against Salamanca, 20-4 and 15-1. Eden swept Gowanda during the regular season by 18-3 and 17-5 scores.
The Class B and C finals are on Wednesday at All-High Stadium. B at 5 p.m. and C at 7:30 p.m.
The Class D and A finals are on Thursday at Sweet Home. D at 5 p.m. and A at 7:30 p.m.
5. Track & field - Niagara Frontier League Championships
Rounding out Thursday's busy schedule is the second day of the Niagara Frontier League track and field championships, which continues at Grand Island starting at 4 p.m.
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
High School Extra (May 25): A-L and Maple Grove to play for Class C title, plus much more
* * *