The former Gilda's Club of Western New York has a new owner: Canisius High School.
The Jesuit school will transform the mansion into a fine and performing arts center. Its first floor will have an art gallery and special event venue. It is also developing plans for a music rehearsal space, individual practice space, a recording studio and classrooms devoted to architecture, ceramics, sculpture and art.
The purchase price was $1.4 million, according to a deed filed with the Erie County Clerk's Office.
The 13,000-square-foot building is located at 1140 Delaware Ave. across West Ferry Street from the Canisius campus. Gilda's Club had used the property as a clubhouse for the group, which supports the friends and families of people living with cancer. But in 2012, after facing financial difficulties, the organization gave up the Gilda's Club name and its relationship with the national organization. It merged its programming with that of the Life Transitions Center, which is affiliated with Hospice.
The building has been on the market since 2015, when the Center for Hospice & Palliative Care's board of trustees voted to sell it in favor of establishing an endowment fund.
Referred to as the Connors mansion, it originally served as a private home.