• It’s tough to top No. 1 vs. No. 2 in this category, and that’s what we have in baseball today. Williamsville North goes up against Clarence in an outstanding matchup. If the Spartans get through that test, they have to take on crosstown rival Williamsville South a day later. On Wednesday, Canisius hosts St. Mary’s of Lancaster while Clarence plays Lancaster. Speaking of rivals, JFK takes on visiting Cheektowaga on Thursday.
• The schedule is packed with softball games on Wednesday. No. 1 large school Orchard Park goes to Frontier, while No. 1 small school Depew hosts Maryvale. In a Southern Tier matchup, No. 2 small school Fredonia will host Falconer.
• Friday is a busy day in Class D boys lacrosse. No matter where they are placed, the Tigers of Akron are good. They play at Wilson at 5 p.m. At the same time, Salamanca journeys to Eden.
• In girls lacrosse, Niagara Falls goes to Orchard Park on Friday while Lancaster hosts Frontier.
• As the weather continues to improve, the track season starts to heat up as well. There are a couple of meets on the calendar on Saturday. The Depew Relays will get underway at 11 a.m., while the West Seneca West Early Bird Classic gets going an hour earlier.
On the bulletin board
• The Prep Talk Boys and Girls Athletes of the Week return for the spring season in the coming week. Coaches are invited to nominate players for this honor. They can send in details of a player’s week to email@example.com by Saturday night.
• The Akron Central School District is accepting nominations for the Wall of Fame’s class of 2017. Nominees must be ACS graduates of the Class of 2011 or earlier, and nominated coaches must have been retired for at least five years. Deadline for nominations is Sunday, and a committee will review the candidates for selection. A ceremony will be held at the school on Oct. 6. Nomination forms can be picked up at the Akron High School’s main office, or downloaded at akronschools.org/wall. Submissions should be sent to Akron Central Schools, 47 Bloomingdale Ave., Akron, N.Y. 14001, attn. Justin Gerstung, Wall of Fame Chairman. Call him with questions at 542-5040 ext. 6126 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The second annual Section VI Hall of Fame Golf Tournament will be held on Sunday, June 24, at Holland Hills Country Club. The shotgun start is at 1 p.m. The cost is $80 per player, and includes lunch, dinner, cart, 18 holes and a cash bar. The deadline for entries is 4 p.m. on June 9. Payment is due at registration. Checks should be made out to Section VI. Contact Timm Slade at email@example.com.
• Bob Koshinski has been selected to the Upstate New York Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. He will be presented the Stanbro Media Award in East Syracuse on Sept. 17. He was a Section VI Class AA champion for Niagara Wheatfield at 138 pounds and wrestled at the University of Dayton. He returned to coach the Falcons’ wrestling team. During his long career in the media, he has been a strong supporter of high school wrestling. Koshinski has received the Niagara Frontier Wrestling Officials’ Association Contributor Award, was recognized by the WNY Wrestling Coaches Association for his support of Section VI, was chairman of the DiPaolo Scholarship committee, was inducted into the Niagara Falls Sports Hall of Fame and the WNY Wrestling Coaches’ Hall of Fame.
Send items for Sidelines to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.