Share this article

print logo

Woman in critical condition after collision that closed the 400 for 12 hours

The 23-year-old pregnant woman injured in a collision late Tuesday on Route 400 in Elma has been identified as Nadjha Davis of Buffalo. The Erie County Sheriff's Department said she is in critical condition at Erie County Medical Center.

The other driver, of a pickup truck, was identified as Kevin Geary, 25, of East Aurora. He was expected to be treated and released, said Scott Joslyn, chief of police services for Erie County Sheriff's Department. Joslyn said he  does not know the medical status of Davis' pregnancy.

Davis was on her way home from work, driving a 2009 Kia Sedona minivan north on Route 400, while Geary was headed to work in a 2011 Dodge Ram pickup truck when he struck the Kia.

"The pickup truck struck the Sedona, pushed that vehicle, at which point they separated and came to their resting positions," Joslyn said.

But authorities do not know what caused the accident that closed that section of the 65 mph expressway for about 12 hours. Joslyn said Geary was pre-screened for drugs and alcohol at the scene, and "there is nothing to suggest that either alcohol or drugs played a role."

The pickup truck belonging to Kevin Geary, 25, of East Aurora. (Erie County Sheriff's Office)

Deputies arrived at the scene less than one minute after receiving the call, he said. He said it was difficult to determine how fast the vehicles were traveling because of the difference in their sizes.

Sheriff's deputies found Davis in her vehicle. She was breathing but unresponsive. She was extricated from the minivan at 11:21 p.m. and taken by Mercy Flight to ECMC with serious injuries, the Sheriff's Office said.

The pickup rolled over several times, injuring the driver,who was able to walk around at the scene following the crash. He was taken to ECMC by ambulance with non-life-threatening injuries, the Sheriff's Office said.

"Was the Kia stopped or was it moving? All I can tell you is that the Kia was in the travel lane," Joslyn said.

The northbound lanes of Route 400 between Jamison and Transit roads were closed after the 10:23 p.m. accident Tuesday night until 10 a.m. Wednesday. Joslyn said investigators kept in mind the effect of the road closing on the morning commute, but he said that had to be balanced with "what we owe" the investigation scene.

"Quite frankly, we needed every minute," Joslyn said. "This was an accident that covered both lanes, northbound lanes of travel, from one shoulder to the other shoulder. Even reducing the lanes from two to one allowing motorists to go through was an impossibility."

Investigators did what they could overnight marking evidence, and examined it in daylight.

"It took a long time, we are certainly cognizant of that," he said.

Joslyn said the investigation into the accident could take weeks.

"We are going to look at everything that we can. We are not ruling anything out," he said.

No charges have been filed.

There are no comments - be the first to comment