With just two quarterbacks on the roster, the Buffalo Bills need to add depth to the position.
That explains why veteran T.J. Yates was at One Bills Drive on Friday, making a free agent visit. Yates, 29, played last season for the Miami Dolphins. A former fifth-round draft pick of the Houston Texans in 2011, he has also spent time with the Atlanta Falcons.
Yates started two playoff games for the Texans as a rookie, beating the Bengals in the wild-card round before losing to Baltimore. He also played for the Dolphins in their playoff loss to the Steelers in January. In 18 career games, he's thrown for 1,352 yards, six touchdowns and eight interceptions, with a passer rating of 72.8.
Additionally, the Bills announced the signings of eight free agents, including cornerback Bradley Sylve and defensive end Jake Metz. Also signed Friday were:
• Cornerback Marcus Cromartie: A 6-foot-0, 195-pounder, Cromartie played the past three years for the San Francisco 49ers, appearing in 10 games in 2016. He has 18 career tackles, three passes defensed and one fumble recovery.
• Offensive tackle Cameron Jefferson: A 6-5, 317-pounder, he spent three years at UNLV and one at Arkansas in college, lining up at nearly every spot on the offensive line. He has spent time on the Denver Broncos' practice squad.
• Linebacker Jacob Lindsey: Harvard alert! Lindsey, 6-2 and 220, played 30 games in college at the Ivy League school, with 185 tackles (13 for losses), five forced fumbles and 14 passes defensed.
• Offensive lineman Jordan Mudge: Like Metz, Mudge has experience in the Arena Football League. He was named the AFL's Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2016 while with the Arizona Rattlers.
• Linebacker Junior Sylvestre: An All-MAC selection for Toledo in 2013-14, Sylvestre spent 2015 on injured reserve for the Colts. The 6-0, 242-pounder had 286 tackles, 7.5 sacks and three forced fumbles in college. He figures to compete for a job at weak-side linebacker.
• Linebacker Eddie Yarbrough: A Wyoming native, Yarbrough is big for his position, at 6-3, 259 pounds. He was cut by the Denver Broncos last year at the end of training camp.