Can't you feel it? The warm air on your skin. The sun beating down on your face. The smell of flowers. Birds singing. Frogs croaking. OK, you get it. I have spring fever - big time - and my kids do, too.
So, now that spring is officially here (despite lingering snow on the ground), we have some fun must-dos.
- Treat our animal friends. We love this. We take a string, and thread some cheerios and fruit loops through it. Then, we hang it on one of our trees and watch the squirrels and birds treat themselves to a little snack. It's fun for the kids to make and watching the animals eat is even more fun.
- Make a fairy garden. It will be our first and we can't wait. You can get the basics at just about any garden center, or make your own. They're little houses filled with tiny things - think doll house - only for outside. Tiny gnomes. Tiny benches.
- Clean up nature. Whether it's picking up trash on the beach or sprucing up a park in your neighborhood, this is a great way to get kids involved in and excited about beautifying their community. Bring a few garbage bags and a packed lunch and you're all set.
- Eat dirt! Sort of. It's actually one of our favorite desserts. Crumble cookies and mix them with chocolate pudding, gummy worms and get grossed out in a delicious way.
- Spring cleaning - kid style. This may not sound like fun, but it can be. Just get the kids involved. Have them decide which toys they don't play with anymore, pack them up and bring them to Goodwill, Salvation Army or any other organization that can find them a new home. My rule is at least five things must go. That'll clear things up for you.