Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz wants the state to review the New York State Electric & Gas response to last week's widespread power outages caused by a windstorm.
Poloncarz posted on his social media accounts over the weekend that he requested an investigation by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's staff and the state Public Service Commission. Poloncarz cited Cuomo's request for an investigation of Rochester Gas and Electric Corp.'s response to outages in the Rochester area, where 9,212 remained without power as of 2:30 p.m. Monday.
"Due to the slow response and lack of timely, adequate information from NYSEG I have [asked] the Governor's staff and the Chief of Staff to the NYS Department of Public Services to review NYSEG's response in WNY as well," Poloncarz posted on Facebook.
— Mark Poloncarz (@markpoloncarz) March 11, 2017
A spokesman for the Public Service Commission said Monday that because NYSEG shares management with Rochester Gas & Electric, the PSC will also investigate NYSEG’s preparation and response to the wind storms.
"This investigation is already underway and is happening," James Denn, the PSC spokesman, wrote in an email.
A spokesperson for NYSEG could not be reached for comment early Monday morning. Over the weekend, a spokeswoman for the utility told WIVB-TV the company would respond to the investigation once it receives formal notice.
As of 7:15 a.m. Monday, 111 NYSEG customers in Erie County remained without power. The outages were scattered across 13 municipalities, with the largest numbers in Colden and Aurora.
About 5,300 NYSEG customers remained without power late Friday night, two days after Wednesday's windstorm struck.