Share this article

print logo

Quick hits: Flyers 6, Sabres 3

There were no moral victories in this one. There wasn't anything to build on.

There was just a beatdown.

While the Sabres were licking their wounds Tuesday night, the Flyers were licking their chops. Philadelphia pounced on puck after puck and crushed Buffalo, 6-3, in KeyBank Center.

After a handful of close losses, the Sabres stayed close for only 20 minutes. Philadelphia pulled away to drop Buffalo to 1-5-2 in the last games and 27-28-12 overall.

Streak to 100: Jack Eichel extended his career-best point streak to 11 games with a three-point night. After a first-period assist, he scored the Sabres’ second goal to reach 100 points in 127 NHL games. The 20-year-old is the third-youngest Buffalo player to reach the milestone, following 19-year-olds Pierre Turgeon and Phil Housley.

Eichel made it 6-3 with 5:10 play, putting a shot between the pads of goaltender Steve Mason. Eichel has 18 goals and 45 points in 46 games.

Second-class citizens: The Sabres’ woes during the second period continued. The teams opened the frame in a 1-1 tie, but the Flyers exited with a 4-2 lead. Buffalo fell to minus-24 this season during second periods, allowing 74 goals and scoring 50.

Tips encouraged: The Flyers spent time in the Sabres’ zone early, opening a 6-1 shot edge. It paid off. Matt Read tipped home defenseman Radko Gudas’ shot with 4:34 off the clock.

First power: The Sabres’ power play, which was tied for first in the NHL, made it 1-1 with 4:35 left in the first. Evander Kane fired from the right circle, and Mason never saw the shot through the screen set by Sam Reinhart. Kane has 12 goals and 19 points in the last 21 games.

Defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen earned the primary assist, giving him the league lead with 22 power-play helpers.

Gudas gold: Gudas forced Marcus Foligno into a turnover at the Buffalo blue line, then sent a laser over goaltender Robin Lehner’s left shoulder with five minutes gone in the second.

Second power: The Sabres’ power play again tied the game, and it needed just three seconds to do it. Ryan O’Reilly won a faceoff to Eichel, and the center’s shot bounced off the stick of the Flyers’ Andrew MacDonald with 7:14 gone in the second.

Weal’s wheels: The Flyers rushed into the Sabres’ zone with six minutes left in the second, with Jordan Weal heading to the top of the crease. Jakub Voracek’s pass hit Weal’s skate and caromed into the net.

Challenge denied: Buffalo coach Dan Bylsma tried to deny the Flyers a 4-2 lead, but it didn’t work. After Lehner saved Michael Del Zotto’s shot, the rebound bounced off Buffalo defenseman Josh Gorges and landed in front of Claude Giroux for an easy tap-in.

Bylsma issued a coach’s challenge for goalie interference, but the officials determined Wayne Simmonds didn’t push Gorges into Lehner with 1:58 left in the second.

Five alive: The Flyers opened a 5-2 lead with less than three minutes gone in the third. Chris VandeVelde tipped Del Zotto's shot while screening Lehner.

Six pack: The Flyers opened a four-goal lead with 14:39 remaining. Similar to the goal by Gudas, Travis Konecny scored from the right circle over Lehner's left shoulder.

Drop ’em: Nicolas Deslauriers was not going to let Pierre Edouard Bellemare leave the ice without fighting. Once Bellemare finally obliged and dropped the gloves, Deslauriers kept throwing and throwing. The left winger then exhorted the crowd to get louder after winning a unanimous decision with 2:41 gone.

Counting the house: The Sabres announced 18,232 tickets sold. Nearly everyone who showed up was gone in the final minutes.

Next: The Sabres have a couple of days off before their first games of the season against Columbus. They visit the Blue Jackets on Friday and host them Saturday.

There are no comments - be the first to comment