Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Tuesday
1. Boys hockey - Section VI large schools semifinals at HarborCenter
1-Wmsv. North vs. 7-Niagara Falls, 6 p.m.
The Spartans breezed by eighth-seed Lockport in the quarters, 12-0. They should have a more competitive game on their hands with a Niagara Falls squad that upset No. 2 Orchard Park, 3-1, on Saturday.
3-Niagara-Wheatfield vs. 4-Lancaster, 8:30 p.m.
The Falcons topped Frontier in the quarters, 4-1, while the Legends beat Clarence, 4-2. These two Division 1 foes met twice already in the regular season. Wheatfield won, 3-2, on Dec. 23 while Lancaster returned the favor with a 3-1 win on Jan. 28.
North and Wheatfield wins tonight would set up a fourth consecutive large schools final between the two powerhouses.
2. Boys basketball - St. Mary's of Lancaster at St. Francis, 7 p.m.
No. 3 small school St. Mary's visits No. 2 large school St. Francis in an interdivisional Monsignor Martin clash that will wrap up the seasons for both teams.
The Red Raiders and Lancers are both tied atop their respective divisions, St. Francis with Bishop Timon-St. Jude and St. Mary's with Cardinal O'Hara.
The Manhattan Cup playoffs start with play-in games on Thursday. Semifinals in both Class A and B are set for Saturday at Villa Maria.
3. Girls basketball - Section VI prequarterfinals
Playoff basketball is officially here.
Girls action gets underway with 12 games across five of the eight classifications. The winners today all hit the road Thursday. The full schedule is listed below:
- 9-West Seneca West at 8-North Tonawanda, 7 p.m.
- 10-West Seneca East at 7-Sweet Home, 7 p.m.
- 9-Pioneer at 8-Starpoint, 7 p.m.
- 10-Maryvale at 7-Cheektowaga, 7 p.m.
- 9-Springville at 8-Albion, 5 p.m.
- 12-CSAT at 5-Alden, 5 p.m.
- 10-Emerson at 7-Newfane, 7 p.m.
- 11-City Honors at 6-Fredonia, 7 p.m.
- 9-JFK at 8-Akron, 5 p.m.
- 10-Eden at 7-Health Sciences, 7 p.m.
- 11-Roy-Hart at 6-Southwestern, 7 p.m.
- 9-Salamanca at 8-Cassadaga Valley, 7 p.m.
4. Boys basketball - Section VI first round
The first rounds in Class B-1 and B-2, the largest classifications, begin with seven games today. The winners play right away again on Wednesday in the prequarterfinals. The full schedule is listed below:
- 16-Emerson at 9-Alden, 7 p.m.
- 13-City Honors at 12-Albion, 7 p.m.
- 15-Tonawanda at 10-Fredonia, 5 p.m.
- 14-CSAT vs. 11-Riverside, 7 p.m. at McKinley
- 13-Southwestern vs. 12-Buffalo Arts, 7 p.m. at City Honors
- 15-Eden at 10-Roy-Hart, 7 p.m.
- 14-Akron vs. 11-Oracle, 7 p.m. at Akron
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
* * *
- As always, we'll monitor today's action in our #PrepTalkLive post