Share this article

print logo

Mayor Brown orders closing of Riverside bar Maggie's after shooting

Mayor Byron W. Brown and the Buffalo Police Department ordered Maggie's Bar & Grill to shut down Monday, following a shooting Sunday outside the establishment in the city's Riverside neighborhood.

The cease and desist order effectively closed down the tavern, where a 22-year-old Buffalo man was hit by gunfire outside the bar about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, according to Buffalo police.

Brown held a news conference Monday evening at the site of the old Park Lane restaurant to provide an update on the closing of Maggie's, which is located in the 700 block of Military Road.

"We have used the city's peace and good order statute to close this establishment, as we have done with a number of other establishments in the past," Brown said.

"If a business demonstrates that it cannot create an environment to protect the safety of its patrons, we will shut it down," Brown said.

The mayor said that since last January – a little more than a year's time – Maggie's had been the subject of "about 50 different complaints."

"We have been working with other agencies and the establishment itself to bring it into compliance, but in the aftermath of the shooting on Sunday morning, we decided that the best course of action was to shut this establishment down," Brown said.

The mayor said the city attempts to work with businesses for which it receives neighborhood or patron complaints. Among the complaints that the city had received about Maggie's were incidences of fights and other disturbances, he said.

"Our intent is not to shut businesses down, but to work with businesses, which the police and our other city agencies have attempted to do, but Sunday's shooting was the final straw and we moved quickly to shut them down," Brown said.

He said the operator of the bar can apply at any time to reopen.

The victim in Sunday's shooting was believed to have been inside the bar and then walked outside, where he was struck by gunfire. He was transported by ambulance to Erie County Medical Center, where he was treated and released, police said.

Story topics: / /

There are no comments - be the first to comment