Work on the emergency department trauma room at the new John R. Oishei Children's Hospital is nearly done.
Contractors have completed about 84 percent of the $270 million project to construct a new pediatric hospital on Ellicott Street. Significant interior work is now underway.
"It's beginning to look like an emergency room," said Michael P. Hughes, Kaleida Health's senior vice president of public affairs and marketing.
In late December, the firewall between the Oishei Children's Outpatient Center in the Conventus Building and the new hospital building was finished. Consisting of doors, fire shutters, expansion joints and glass, the firewall forms a fire-proof barrier when shut, Hughes said.
That work paved the way for the outpatient center to open some of its clinics on Jan. 3, while hospital construction continues on the other side of the partition. About 2oo construction workers are on site putting finishing touches on the hospital's interior.
Significant interior work is now under way inside the halls and rooms of the new,$270 million hospital slated to open in November on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. To date, 84 percent of the project is completed.
The Buffalo Fire Department last week toured the new hospital and reviewed its crisis plan, Hughes said.
Epoxy floors are now being installed in the operating rooms, along with preparation and recovery units. That type of flooring is preferred in hospitals for sanitation purposes. A labor-intensive, multi-step process is used to give the flooring a hard, durable finish.
The new hospital at 818 Ellicott St. on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus is scheduled to open in November.
More from the Medical Campus:
- Campus workforce to hit 15,000 as hospital, med school move
- WNY’s quiet plan to breed new medical discoveries
- Idea Lab launched through Innovation Center on medical campus
- UB's new medical school begins taking on its terra cotta look
- St. Jude Center offers prayer and sanctuary to Medical Campus patients and families
- Where to park at the new Oishei Children's Outpatient Center
- Children's Hospital prepares for first step in move to medical campus
- Gallery: Oishei Children’s Outpatient Center
- Senior Citizens can get a healthy meal at pub near Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
- KeyBank to open Conventus branch in March