Canisius at American International
2:05 p.m., Friday and Saturday
Mass Mutual Center, Springfield, Mass.
1. Canisius is tied for first place: The Golden Griffins are tied for first place with Air Force in the Atlantic Hockey standings. Canisius is on a five-game unbeaten streak. The Griffs are 10-4-4 in conference play and 11-10-5 overall.
2. American International is on a roll: The Yellow Jackets are in eighth place in Atlantic Hockey (6-9-5) but have won three of their last four games, including a 5-3 win over RIT and a weekend sweep over Niagara. The offense rolled against the Purple Eagles with wins of 7-3 and 7-2.
3. Canisius scoring is up: The Griffs started the season averaging 1.88 goals a game, but the offense has found its niche second semester. In their last nine games they are averaging 2.89 goals a game. They are 5-2-2 in those games.
4. Point streaks go along with that scoring: Junior Ryan Schmelzer has scored a goal in his last three games. Sophomore Dylan McLaughlin is on a five-game point streak with three goals and five assists in that span.
5. Meanwhile, the Canisius defense is solid: Senior transfer Charles Williams continues to anchor the Griffs. The goaltender has the best save percentage in the country (.961) while his goals-against averaged (1.37) is tied for third-best in the country with Notre Dame (and Sabres draft pick) goalie Cal Petersen.