Dec. 19, 1924 – Jan. 15, 2017
Dr. Frank J. Nappo, of Akron, a dentist who served patients at Erie County Medical Center for more than 30 years, died Jan. 15 in the Cornerstone Hospice & Palliative Care Center, Tavares, Fla. He was 92.
Born in Buffalo, he was a graduate of Hutchinson-Central High School, where he played football, baseball and basketball. He served in the Army in World War II, commanding an artillery unit in Europe and attaining the rank of staff sergeant.
Returning from the service, he enrolled at the University of Buffalo, where he played basketball and football. He was a running back and free safety on the 1947 team that went 8-1, the best winning percentage in Bulls history, and was scouted by the San Francisco 49ers before an injury ended his playing career.
He went on to earn an accounting degree from Canisius College and worked at Ford Motor Co. as an accountant. Then, deciding to pursue a career in dentistry, he completed UB Dental School.
Dr. Nappo began working in the UB dental program at what was then E. J. Meyer Memorial Hospital and established a private practice, seeing patients after he finished his shift at the hospital, first on Hertel Avenue in North Buffalo, then on Kensington Avenue in Cheektowaga. He retired in the early 1990s.
A resident of Clarence and Williamsville before moving to Akron in the late 1990s, he was active in sports-related clubs affiliated with UB. In recent years, he was a parishioner at Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church in Clarence.
His wife of 49 years, the former Bertha M. Fanara, died in 1996. He and the former Patty Jo Conder married in 1999.
Surviving in addition to his wife are a daughter, Kathryn Wehrung; six sons, Robert, Frank, Paul, Michael, John and Stephen; two stepdaughters, Jackie Dellinger and Debbie Parham; a sister, Florence Hall; 20 grandchildren; four stepgrandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and six stepgreat-grandchildren.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10 a.m. Tuesday in Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church, 4375 Harris Hill Road, at Main Street, Clarence.