NYBP porter pairings
Always hungry for new ways to present beers to thirsty drinkers, New York Beer Project is launching Porter Pairings, a week-long event featuring two new porter recipes accompanied by food pairings.
The new porters are a robust American Porter (stronger, darker and more roasty), and a traditional English Porter (more chocolatey and drinkable). The American Porter will be paired with NYBP’s house-smoked bacon, and the English Porter will be paired with an English Sticky Toffee Pudding. The event launches Jan. 26.
New York Beer Project is at 6933 S. Transit Road, Lockport. Call 743-6927.
New from Old First Ward
Gene McCarthy’s Pub/Old First Ward Brewing Company (73 Hamburg St.) is launching two new beers.
The first is an extra hopped-up riff on its popular Streaker IPA (India Pale Ale). The recipe remained the same as the Streaker 7.0 iteration, with an added dose of Simcoe hops. The second beer is a 6 percent ABV (alcohol by volume) stout with coffee added. The coffee for this beer comes from Undergrounds Coffee House (580 South Park Ave.), just up the street from the brewery, which is owned by Bill Metzger, one of the owners of Gene McCarthy’s.
Both beers should be released within one to two weeks, depending on tap availability at the bar. Call 855-8948.
A sponge candy variation
You may recall the release of Resurgence Brewing Co.’s Imperial Sponge Candy Stout. Or perhaps its Bourbon barrel-aged version. Now the brewery is releasing yet another variant. With the addition of milk sugar (lactose), the Imperial Sponge Candy Milk Stout has a big additional sweetness and creamy texture, supplementing the already rich aromas of milk chocolate, caramel and toffee.
This Valentine’s Day themed beer will be available in the tap room in 22-ounce bottles starting Jan. 28. Resurgence Brewing Company is at 1250 Niagara St. Call 381-9868.
New from Thin Man
Thin Man Brewery (492 Elmwood Ave., 923-4100) has released three new beers.
- Idaho 6 Winter IPA (7 percent ABV) has notes of yuzu (Japanese citrus fruit), red apple and pine. It is brewed with Idaho 6 hops, along with Centennial and Cascade and has has an intense fruitiness.
- Big Enough Umbrella (5.1 percent ABV golden ale) is described as having a crispy malt base with light floral hops, making it a very easy-drinking beer.
- Minkey Boodle (a reference to the animated show "Space Ghost Coast to Coast") is a 7 percent ABV raspberry sour ale with a bright fuchsia color and loads of berry flavor.
Hamburg tap room specials
Hamburg Brewing Company (6553 Boston State Road, Hamburg) has launched new tap room specials.
- Mondays and Fridays: $2 off any 64-ounce growler fill.
- Tuesdays: $2 off tacos. Plus look for weekly taco specials in addition the brewery’s standard Baja Shrimp Taco.
- Wednesdays: Live music starting at 7:30 p.m.
- Thursdays: $10 pizza and pint combo: pair any $6 pint on the menu with a pizzas. Options are cheese and pepperoni, margherita or balsamic cippolini ($1 upcharge).
Big Ditch taps new beers
Big Ditch Brewing Company (55 E. Huron St.) is launching two beers this week- one new and the other a returning seasonal. Both will be tapped on Jan. 27.
- Lock Porter, an Imperial Smoked Porter (7.7 percent ABV), is a returning beer with mild roast character and pronounced smoke flavor, joined with an earthy hop finish. Lock Porter will be available at the tap room and in limited quantities around town.
- Trois IPA (7 percent ABV) is a new entry in the brewery’s Innovation Series (small pilot batches testing out new flavors and ideas). The name refers to the strain of yeast used, a “wild” form of normal brewer’s yeast called Saccharomyces Trois. This strain gives off tropical flavors of pineapple and mango, which meld with the tropical and citrusy hops used in the beer. This experimental beer will be available in limited quantities in the tap room only.