Schools may be off on break, but we're up and ready to go. Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Wednesday
1. Girls basketball - Frewsburg Tournament
The top matchup of the day comes from down near the Pennsylvania border in the Frewsburg Tournament championship.
No. 8 Frewsburg (5-2) hosts No. 4 St. Mary's of Lancaster (9-0) at 6 p.m. in a battle of ranked small schools.
The Bears extended their win streak to four with a 69-42 win over Falconer yesterday. Standout sophomore Gabby Iuculano (18.7 points per game) scored a game-high 21 points. Senior Kaitlyn Blanchard (13 points, eight steals) and Olivia Lynn (12 points, 10 rebounds) also had nice games for Frewsburg
The Lancers, led by sophomore Caroline Zanghi, remained undefeated with a 19-point win over Dunkirk.
2. Boys basketball - Ken-Ton Tournament at Kenmore East
No. 10 large school St. Joe's (4-3) battles honorable mention large school Kenmore West (3-4) in the Ken-Ton Tournament championship game at 6:30 p.m.
The Marauders ran away from host Kenmore East yesterday in a 62-33 decision. Junior Jack Capen scored a game-high 20 points and also grabbed 10 rebounds. Mike Motley added 11 points, while Naseer Jackson scored five points and had six steals.
The Blue Devils, meanwhile, topped No. 5 small school Cardinal O'Hara, 62-57. Tyler Aquilina had a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds. Kyle Laplante and Tal James added 15 and 14 points, respectively.
3. Boys basketball - Five Guys Holiday Tournament at Williamsville North
St. Mary's of Lancaster (4-1) and Williamsville North (5-1) play for the Five Guys title at 7:30 p.m. in a rematch of last year's final, which the Lancers won.
St. Mary's, an honorable mention small school, received balanced scoring in its 63-48 win over Williamsville East yesterday. Christian Szablewski scored a game-high 13, while Eric Brown contributed 11.
The Spartans dominated Emerson, 65-39, in its matchup Tuesday. Senior Corey Swiech dropped a game-high 17 points, including three three-pointers. Classmate Jairus Huggins recorded a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds.
4. Boys hockey - 31st Nichols-Belmont Hill Holiday Tournament
Nichols hosts an eight-team, three-day tournament featuring prep teams from four states and Canada.
Play begins at 9 a.m. today at Dann Memorial Rink when Nichols takes on St. Francis in the first of six games Wednesday. Nichols also faces Millbrook at 6 p.m., while St. Francis returns for an 8 p.m. tilt against Kimball Union Academy of New Hampshire.
Pool play continues Thursday with six more round-robin games. The top two finishers in each division meet in the semifinals on Friday, with the championship slated for 6:30 p.m. Other teams include Upper Canada College (Ont.), Belmont Hill (Mass.), Brunswick (Conn.) and The Rivers School (Weston, Mass.).
5. Basketball - Additional local tournament action
Cassadaga Valley Tournament
- Clymer vs. Southwestern, 6 p.m.
- Cassadaga Valley vs. Salamanca, 7:30 p.m.
- Championship: Frewsburg vs. North Collins, 8 p.m.
Maryvale Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament
- Hamburg vs. Niagara-Wheatfield, 5:15 p.m.
- Cleveland Hill vs. Maryvale, 6:45 p.m.
West Seneca Invitational at West Seneca East
- Championship: Lake Shore vs. West Seneca East, 6 p.m.
Harvey Austin Tournament at McKinley
- Middle College vs. Tapestry, 3 p.m.
- McKinley vs. WNY Maritime, 4:30 p.m.
Ken-Ton Tournament at Kenmore West
- Mount St. Mary vs. Williamsville North, 2 p.m.
- Kenmore West vs. Mount Mercy, 3:30 p.m.
- Cheektowaga vs. Williamsville East, 4:30 p.m.
- Lancaster vs. Niagara Falls, 8 p.m.
Sacred Heart Tournament
- Clarence vs. Nardin, 5 p.m.
- Sacred Heart vs. Starpoint, 6:30 p.m.
- CSAT vs. North Tonawanda, 11 a.m.
- Grand Island vs. Tonawanda, 3 p.m.
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
* * *
High School Extra (Dec. 28): West Seneca East and Lake Shore set to play for West Seneca title, plus much more
* * *
- As always, we'll monitor today's action in our #PrepTalkLive post