Share this article

print logo

Gas leak on East Amherst Street leads to evacuation of 26

Twenty-six residents of an East Amherst Street apartment complex were evacuated temporarily Wednesday night as the result of a gas leak in the basement of 198 E. Amherst St. about 7:30 p.m.

National Fuel crews were dispatched to the scene about 8 p.m. as residents were sheltered in a Metro Bus. The Red Cross also was assisting residents of the two-story complex between 190 to 208 E. Amherst St.

Initially, the elderly and young children were evacuated by Buffalo Fire crews who reported "very heavy" gas odors in the basement, triggering the evacuation of nearby apartment units.

The leak was traced to a damaged pipe and a fire official reported "a temporary fix" about 7:50 p.m., with the emergency declared under control at 7:55 p.m.

Windows in apartment units were opened to clear out gas fumes. No injuries were reported.

There are no comments - be the first to comment