Share this article

print logo

Man, 85, burned in Pendleton house fire

PENDLETON - An 85-year-old man was listed in fair condition in Erie County Medical Center Friday evening after being burned in a fire that gutted his home earlier in the day.

Salvatore J. Mattina of 6650 Bear Ridge Road was burned on his right arm and hair in the blaze, State Police Investigator John Spero said.

Mattina and his daughter, Jerryl Kinley, fled the flames that erupted around 11:50 a.m. Friday, Spero said. Kinley was unhurt and was expected to be taken in by nearby relatives, the investigator said.

The two-story single-family home was fully engulfed in flames when Wendelville and Rapids volunteer firefighters arrived. Spero said it took them about an hour to extinguish the fire.

Mattina was transported to ECMC in an ambulance, the investigator said.

Spero said the cause of the fire has not been officially determined, but it appeared that a space heater in a mud room may have been to blame.

He said the house, a short distance north of Irish Road, would be a total loss of at least $150,000.

There are no comments - be the first to comment