Food left on a stove sparked a fire Wednesday afternoon in a ninth floor unit at the Sedita Apartments in the Elmwood Village, city officials said.
Smoke was reported to be coming from a ninth-story window of the building at the corner of Summer Street and Richmond Avenue shortly after 1 p.m. The fire was declared under control at 1:32 p.m.
No one was injured but the resident of the unit where the fire occurred was given temporary housing by the Red Cross because of the damage to the apartment. The Red Cross was also assisting a tenant of the apartment just below the fire scene because of extenstive water damage.
Two private disaster clean-up crews were brought in to handle water and smoke damage, a city spokeswoman said.
The fire caused $40,000 damage, Buffalo Fire Department officials reported Thursday.
E21 responded 3rd due to 335 Summer on a high rise assignment. Fire on the 9th floor, E37 contained the fire to 1 apartment in the kitchen.
— @bfdAlphaDogs21 (@bfdAlphaDogs21) December 7, 2016