As playoffs continue, get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Friday
1. Football - Section VI semifinals
Ten teams from this weekend's playoff games will earn a trip to New Era Field for the right to play for a Section VI title next week. Nine out of 10 semifinal games will be played under the Friday Night Lights. Miguel Rodriguez previewed one of the matchups, Dunkirk vs. Lackawanna, in his football primer.
Today's full playoff schedule (at 7 p.m. unless noted):
- 2S-Orchard Park at 1N-Clarence
- 3S-Hutch-Tech at 1S-Lancaster, 7:30 p.m.
- 2S-McKinley at 1N-Starpoint
- 2N-North Tonawanda at 1S-Bennett at All-High Stadium
- 3-Olean at 2-Cheektowaga
- 8-Lackawanna at 4-Dunkirk, 7:30 p.m.
3S-Allegany-Limestone at 1S-Southwestern
- 5-Randolph at 1-Maple Grove
- 3-Franklinville/Ellicottville at 2-Silver Creek/Forestville
2. Boys soccer Class C final - 1-Randolph vs. 2-Allegany-Limestone, 5 p.m. at Sweet Home
No. 5 small school Randolph, one of two unbeatens left at 15-0-3, battle CCAA East rival No. 6 Allegany-Limestone (16-1-1) for the third time this season. The winner earns a berth in the Far West Regionals.
The Cardinals and Gators played to a scoreless tie their first meeting, while Randolph got the best of Limestone, 2-1, in overtime in round two. Round three should be a thriller.
3. Boys soccer Class D final - 1-Pine Valley vs. 3-Ellicottville, 7:30 p.m. at Sweet Home
Pine Valley (16-1), the No. 8 small school in the latest coaches poll, is looking to keep Ellicottville (3-12-1) from scoring the upset. Senior Tyler West's the leading scorer for the Panthers with 32 goals and 12 assists on the season.
4. Girls volleyball - Section VI quarterfinals
Of the 27 games on schedule for tonight, three feature two top 10 teams battling it out early on in the playoffs. Chief among them is a Class AA matchup between sixth-seeded Orchard Park and third-seeded Lockport. The No. 6 large school Quakers were actually ranked ahead of the No. 8 Lions, though, in this week's coaches poll.
Additional games to watch for Friday (all at 6 p.m.):
- Class AA: 5-Niagara Wheatfield (No. 9 large school) at 4-Kenmore West (No. 7 large school)
- Class A: 6-Lake Shore at 3-Hamburg (No. 5 large school)
- Class C-1: 5-Southwestern (No. 8 small school) at 4-Eden (No. 2 small school)
5. Football - Canisius at Cathedral Prep (Pa.), 7 p.m.
The Crusaders (7-1) take to the road as they look to rebound from their 7-0 loss to Bishop Timon-St. Jude last week. The 9-0 Ramblers will be a tough team to do it against. They dominated St. Joe's and St. Francis this season, 41-0 and 62-35, respectively.
- Girls volleyball - Monsignor Martin quarterfinals
- Boys volleyball - Section VI prequarterfinals
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
#PrepTalkSpirit: Show us your school spirit by tweeting us fan photos with the hashtag #PrepTalkSpirit and we'll highlight one every week.
* * *
High School Extra (Oct. 28): Orchard Park, Williamsville North reach field hockey final, plus more
* * *
- Stories, photo galleries & video interviews recapping Friday’s Week Nine football action
- As always, we'll monitor today's action in our #PrepTalkLive post