Canisius travels to State College, Pa., to take on Penn State in a non-conference weekend. The Griffs are coming off a three-point weekend against Atlantic Hockey foe Robert Morris while Penn State entered the USCHO.com Division I poll at No. 19. Here are five things to know for the weekend:
Canisius at Penn State
7:05 p.m., Friday and Saturday
Pegula Ice Arena, State College, Pa.
1. Big weekend: Canisius is coming off a win and a tie against Atlantic Hockey rival Robert Morris. It was the first time in program history the Griffs took three points off the Colonials in a two-game series.
2. Big weekend Part II: Penn State is making noise in the national polls with its 3-1-1 start. The Nittany Lions are coming off a tie and an overtime win on the road against Notre Dame. Penn State had a 3-1 lead on Friday before settling for a 3-3 tie. On Saturday Buffalo native Andrew Sturtz scored 1:20 into overtime for a 3-2 win.
3. Leadership points: Griffs' senior captain Geoff Fortman has four points (one goal, three assists) in six games this season after totaling 14 points in his first three seasons combined.
4. Defense at the ready: The Griffs will need a solid game in goal and good team defense against Penn State. The Nittany Lions lead all of college hockey, averaging 38.60 shots per game.
5. Best of the Week: For Canisius, sophomore forward Felix Chamberland was the Atlantic Hockey player of the week and Charles Williams was the league’s goalie of the week. Chamberland had a power-play hat trick in a 6-3 win over Robert Morris on Friday. He has four points in six games this season. Williams went 1-0-1 against Robert Morris, making 59 saves with a .922 save percentage.