Share this article

print logo

Man breaks leg jumping from window to escape Tonawanda fire

A man in his mid 50s broke his leg jumping from a window to escape a house fire in the Town of Tonawanda on Tuesday morning.

A woman was trapped on an awning of the house at 624 Niagara Falls Blvd. and had to be helped down by firefighters from the Kenilworth
Fire Co., said Fire Chief Corey Mamot. She was believed to be uninjured.

The fire, which was reported at about 5:30 a.m., started in the basement. The first firefighters on scene encountered heavy smoke, Mamot said.

The fire was caused by flammable liquid being stored too close to the home's hot water tank, Mamot said. The fire was contained to the basement area, but smoke traveled throughout the house.

The southbound lanes of Niagara Falls Boulevard were closed in that area for a couple hours but have since reopened.

There are no comments - be the first to comment