We know there's no homeroom today. But we're up and ready to go from the first weekend of the Section VI football playoffs.
Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Saturday
1. Matinee football
With 17 of the 20 Section VI football games being played last night, there's simply not much left for Saturday's slate. But there is one matchup between top 10 large schools to look forward to.
No. 10 Hutch-Tech (5-2) heads north to No. 4 Niagara Falls (6-1) for a 2 p.m. showdown. Both teams are coming off huge wins last week as an unranked Engineers squad knocked then-No. 6 Clarence out of the top 10 with a 34-13 win. The No. 9 Wolverines, meanwhile, surprised No. 3 Orchard Park, 26-23.
Additional matchups to watch for Saturday:
- Monsignor Martin: St. Francis at St. Joe's, 1 p.m.
- Class C quarterfinals: Chautauqua Lake at Cleveland Hill, 2 p.m.
- Class D quarterfinals: Randolph at Clymer/Sherman/Panama, 1:30 p.m.
2. Boys soccer semifinals
Of the six Section VI boys soccer games on Saturday, one stands out above the rest: 2-East Aurora vs. 3-Newfane in the Class B-1 semifinals. No. 2 small school Newfane (17-0) is one of two undefeated teams left in Western New York along with Grand Island (18-0). No. 3 East Aurora (13-3-1) is a perennial power having won five straight sectional championships.
The game, which starts at noon, will kick off a Class B quadruple-header at Sweet Home.
Other semifinal matchups:
- Class B-1: 1-I-Prep/Grover vs. 5-Riverside, 2:30 p.m. at Sweet Home
- Class B-2: 6-Lafayette vs. 7-Medina 5 p.m. at Sweet Home
- Class B-2: 1-Lackawanna vs. 4-Southwestern, 7:30 p.m. at Sweet Home
- Class D: 2-North Collins vs. 3-Ellicottville, 5 p.m. at Pioneer
- Class D: 1-Pine Valley vs. 4-Franklinville, 7:30 p.m. at Pioneer
3. Girls soccer semifinals
Girls soccer has a quadruple-header of its own Saturday at Williamsville North. Top Class B-2 seed Tonawanda facing fifth-seeded Wilson at 4 p.m. is among the most intriguing.
The Warriors (13-2) boast one of the top players in the area in junior Hope Balling, who's second in Section VI in goals with 35 and points with 88 (18 assists). The Lakewomen (10-5-2) were the Class B state runners-up last year and return their top offensive threat in 19-goal scorer Kayla Neumann.
Other semifinal matchups at Williamsville North:
- Class B-1: 3-Newfane vs. 7-Alden, 2 p.m.
- Class B-1: 1-City Honors vs. 5-East Aurora, 4 p.m.
- Class B-2: 2-Fredonia vs. 6-Southwestern, 2 p.m.
4. Girls tennis
The Section VI Championships are down to the semifinals and finals in singles and doubles. Check out Friday's prelim results in our High School Extra or on the bottom of our scores and schedules page. Today's action starts at 3 p.m. at the Miller Tennis Center in Williamsville.
5. Volleyball tournaments
No. 9 Grand Island and No. 8 Hamburg are each hosting boys volleyball tournaments on the final weekend of the regular season. Both tournaments are set to start at at 8 a.m.
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
#PrepTalkSpirit: Show us your school spirit by tweeting us fan photos with the hashtag #PrepTalkSpirit and we'll highlight one every week.
* * *
High school football roundup: Medina, Maryvale among those that exit playoffs
High School Extra (Oct. 22): Frontier pulls off girl soccer upset plus much more
* * *
- Stories, photo galleries & video interviews recapping Saturday’s Week Eight football action
- Section VI boys and girls volleyball playoff schedules posted at PrepTalk.BuffaloNews.com
- As always, we'll monitor today's action in our #PrepTalkLive post