Get yourself ready for today's #PrepTalkLive action with everything you need to know about the day ahead in high school sports.
What to watch for Friday
1. Friday Night Lights
The road to New Era Field for 40 hopeful football teams starts today. Seventeen of this week's 20 Section VI quarterfinal games are on tap for tonight. Win, you live to see another week. Lose, you go home wondering what could have been.
Miguel Rodriguez previewed one of several marquee matchups with his story on McKinley football riding a wave of momentum heading into the postseason. The Macks (5-2), voted No. 9 in this week's large schools poll, host Williamsville South (4-3) at 7 p.m. at Riverside in Class A.
Five more games to watch for tonight:
- Canisius at Bishop Timon-St. Jude, 7 p.m.
- Class A quarterfinals: 4S-West Seneca East at 1N-Starpoint, 7 p.m.
- Class A quarterfinals: 4N-Grand Island at 1S-Bennett, 7 p.m. at All-High Stadium
- Class B quarterfinals: 6-Alden at 3-Olean, 7 p.m.
- Class B quarterfinals: 5-Maryvale at 4-Dunkirk, 7:30 p.m.
2. Boys volleyball - Orchard Park at Frontier, 6 p.m.
No. 4 Orchard Park heads to No. 3 Frontier in a volleyball match with title implications. Both teams sit at 9-2 in ECIC I, as does Clarence. The winner tonight is guaranteed at least a share of the division crown, and it could turn into an outright championship depending on how the Red Devils fare at Lancaster today. The Falcons won a five-set thriller at OP back on Sept. 23.
3. Boys soccer - Class A-1 semifinals at Sweet Home
Two of the top large schools in WNY headline this doubleheader at Sweet Home. No. 4 large school and second-seeded Sweet Home (14-2-1) will enjoy home-field advantage as they host sixth-seeded McKinley (13-4), which upset Hamburg in the quarterfinals, at 5:30 p.m. No. 1 large school and top-seeded Grand Island (17-0) will take on fourth-seeded Williamsville East (12-5) in the nightcap at 7:30 p.m. Winners meet next Thursday at 7:30 p.m. back at Sweet Home, or at Tonawanda if the Panthers win.
4. Girls soccer Class AA quarterfinals - Frontier at Orchard Park, 3:30 p.m.
These two familiar ECIC I opponents will battle it out for the third time this season in the playoffs. Fifth-seeded Frontier (7-8-1), honorable mention in the large schools poll, will head to No. 6 large school and fourth-seeded Orchard Park (11-4-1). The Falcons and Quakers played to a scoreless draw in their regular season finales on Oct. 13. OP won the first matchup, though, 4-1 on Sept. 20.
5. Girls tennis sectionals
The top Section VI girls tennis talent will gather at Miller Tennis Center in Williamsville for day one of the sectional championships at noon on Friday. The tournament will finish up on Saturday, with day two starting at 3 p.m.
- Boys soccer: Class A-2 semifinals at Tonawanda, 5 & 7:30 p.m.
- Girls soccer Class AA quarterfinals: 6-Kenmore West at 3-Niagara-Wheatfield, 3:30 p.m.
- Girls volleyball: Niagara-Wheatfield at Kenmore West, 4:30 p.m.
- Field hockey: Class B prequarterfinals
Today's schedule can be found at our high school scoreboard.
#PrepTalkLive updates: While we follow ALL the high school action via our Prep Talk team, we encourage YOU to also tweet updates from the games you are attending with the hashtag #PrepTalkLive attached.
#PrepTalkSpirit: Show us your school spirit by tweeting us fan photos with the hashtag #PrepTalkSpirit and we'll highlight one every week.
* * *
High School Extra (Oct. 21): Lancaster girls volleyball nets title share plus much more
* * *
- Stories, photo galleries & video interviews recapping Friday’s Week Eight football action
- As always, we'll monitor today's action in our #PrepTalkLive post