Share this article

print logo

Police confirm name of woman killed in Lockport fire

LOCKPORT - The Lockport Police Department issue a news release late Friday morning confirming that Holly A. Seiler, 54, died in a fire in her Lockport home Thursday morning.

The Buffalo News and other media outlets already had reported the victim's name. She also was known by her married name of Holly A. Bell, a name under which she was registered to vote and held the deed on the house at 605 E. High St., where she died in the blaze shortly after 3:30 a.m. Thursday.

The statement from the police said, "The cause of the fire and the cause of death are still under investigation."

Reached by telephone, Police Chief Michael F. Niethe declined to comment further.

Fire Chief Patrick K. Brady said Thursday that evidence from the scene had been sent to a laboratory for analysis, but he didn't know what type of evidence that was.

The dead woman's ex-sister-in-law, Louisiana Carroll, told The Buffalo News that Seiler's body was to undergo an autopsy at Erie County Medical Center.

Niagara County Coroner Kenneth V. Lederhouse has not released any information about that.

Asked by The News Friday morning if police had given the family any information about the cause of death, Carroll replied, "No, they don't know if it's because of the fire or to call it a homicide. They are still investigating."

Carroll said the woman was divorced from her husband Caleb Bell, who now lives in Rochester, and was living at 605 E. High St. with her boyfriend, Tom Anderson.

Brady said the fire damage was confined to one room on the second floor of the large two-family house across the street from Roy B. Kelley Elementary School.

Brady said the damage from the fire was estimated at $6,500 to the structure and $15,000 to its contents. Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour and 40 minutes.

Three near neighbors, all of whom declined to be identified, said that police have been at 605 E. High St. several times in the past six months, but they were unable to say why.

Niethe would not confirm reports that police were summoned to a domestic disturbance there Wednesday night.




There are no comments - be the first to comment