Share this article

print logo

Anthony P. 'Tony' Marino, retired state employee

Oct. 19, 1936 – Oct. 4, 2016

Anthony P. “Tony” Marino, of Kenmore, a retired state employee, died Oct. 4 in Buffalo General Medical Center after a short illness. He was 79.

Born in Buffalo, he was a graduate of Bennett High School and earned a bachelor’s degree in social welfare from the University at Buffalo. He served in the Navy from 1956 to 1959, where he was an aviation boatswain’s mate aboard the USS Wasp. He also served in the Army Reserve from 1974 to 1996, where he was a senior instructor and attained the rank of master sergeant.

Returning from the Navy, Mr. Marino became a state employee, working for many years as a substance abuse treatment specialist with the Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services. In 1979, he became a state parole officer. The recipient of a Lifetime of Public Service Award, he retired in 1996.

He served as a union steward for the Public Employees Federation and was a member of the Retired Public Employees Association.

He also was an instructor and counselor with the Drinking Driver Program for the Niagara County Council on Alcoholism and worked in security at Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital for 10 years.

He was a board member of the Italian-American Police Association, the Association of Retired Law Enforcement Personnel and the Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 27.

He was a member of the Holy Name Society of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus, the Northside First Friday Club, the American Legion; AMVETS Post 66, the USS Wasp Association, the Fleet Reserve Association, the Retired Enlisted Association, the USO and the U.S. Navy Memorial.

He supported and volunteered for the Special Olympics locally.

An avid golfer, he shot a hole in one at Brighton Park Golf Course on May 12, 2004.

Survivors include his wife of 22 years, the former Eileen Klocek; a daughter, Christine; two sisters, Frances Laudisio and Anne Carney; and a granddaughter.

A Mass of Christian Burial was offered Oct. 8 in St. John the Baptist Church, 1085 Englewood Ave., Town of Tonawanda.

There are no comments - be the first to comment